Are there cookers on the St James Walkway, please?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Craigie

As the title says. really. In a couple of days, I will be heading off to walk the St. James Walkway. We are, of course, taking a primus as a precaution, but wondering if anyone has done this recently, and if there are already cookers in the huts (therefore, potentially not needing a second primus).

The huts are listed as ‘serviced’, but I can’t find anything explicitly stating there are cookers.

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

#34580 Reply
    Claire P

Hi Margaret

No cookers in any of the huts. Was there about a fornight ok, the water at Anne hut was really ashy, so maybe fill up from the river on the way as it’s quite a walk from the hut. The tank was broken at Boyle Flats hut too, so no water there, there’s a good stream behind the hut for it though.

Claire

#34702 Reply
    Ray Walker

Hi Margaret,

There’s a good article in the latest Wilderness magazine about tramping without a cooker; essentially taking food that does not require cooking. Obviously no hot drinks either! It makes a lot of sense, but I’m not sure if I’m brave enough to test that yet. https://www.wildernessmag.co.nz/ditching-the-stove/

Ray

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Are there cookers on the St James Walkway, please?
Your information: