Cattleridge Hut

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      MikeM

Has anyone heard anything about a pending removal of Cattle Ridge Hut?

It wouldn’t be too surprising given how it’s been maintained in recent times, but still a shame.

• #18524 Reply
      Andrew Chisholm

It’s been examined, recognised as in a poor state, and full maintenance is being planned (and maybe executed). NZDA is managing the hut.

• #18525 Reply
      MikeM

Thanks Andrew. I’m glad to hear it was only a rumour!

• #18526 Reply
      harry

I didn’t think it looked in too bad a state over the weekend – except of course for the fact that DOC, in a fit of bureaucratic literal-mindedness, have ripped out the 6th bunk to make it comply with some building code designed for hotels or something…….

• #18527 Reply
      MikeM

Yeah they did that back in 2008, but thankfully the revised building codes were pushed through parliament shortly after.

Interesting documents if you like that kind of boredom. Apparently according to 1.7.4(iii) in part F, windows of long drops shall face either west or south. Maybe I shouldn’t ask why,

• #18528 Reply
      Old Goat

Been going to Cattle Ridge for quite a few years and there was never 6 bunks there. DOC certainly didnt remove one because of any “building regs”…most likely the bunk was used as firewood by a disgruntled,cold punter!
      WMTC rep on the Tararua/Aorangi Huts Committee is the person to push for retaining the hut.
      NZDA Wellington also have a rep on the committee, Tony Macklin was well on the way to getting a Community Agreement finalised by DOC for the maintenance but seems to have lost interest since DOC for some inexplicable reason asked Bush Br NZDA to take it on.

• #18529 Reply
      MikeM

Thanks for that. It must have just been a correlation. I remember a group of us were there on a club trip at about the same time DOC was going through the sudden panic of having realised things weren’t up-to-scratch with the newly introduced building codes.

Does anyone know of any huts that did have a bunk removed during this period? I always thought there were some, but it might have only been Cattle Ridge that I was thinking of.

• #18530 Reply
      Michael (Paddy)Janes

I was involved in most of the hut upgrades in the Tararua and Aorangi/Rimutaka -eastern areas , and cant recall any bunks being removed from huts.The only hut , that had an alteration to sleeping accomodation was Smith Ck shelter and that had the whole top sleeping area (Maoribunk)removed because it could not be brought up to hut standard without spending a heap of money on it.
      Just recently heard that the chances of Cattle Ridge being removed have become greater because of lack of funding in Bush ,NZDA and an obvious reluctance by DOC to spend money on it, preferring to spend on projects like the $15k boardwalk just north of Mitre Flats Hut on a BCA track.
      If any one has been up the Waiohine Gorge lately ,the state of the road is deteriorating rapidly through lack of maintainence. One section of the road has subsided on a corner and anyone driving up there needs to be careful ; potholes are numerous.

• #18531 Reply
      harry

Well, the 6th bunk is missing from Cattle Ridge hut, and I’m sure DOC were removing the 6th bunk from various huts about 5 or 6 years ago to make then comply with some ridiculous building regulation (I remember reading about it in the paper or seeing it on TV at the time) so it seemed a reasonable conclusion that DOC did it.

Did WTMC have any say in removing the top bunk at Smiths Creek Shelter? It is actually our hut, I believe. (I carried in 60 kg of cement for it when it was being built.)

What is a “BCA track” and why on earth is DOC wasting 15 grand on building a boardwalk at Mitre Flats?

• #18532 Reply
      MikeM

BCA is possibly something like Building Consent Authority accreditation? http://www.dbh.govt.nz/bofficials-bca That’s just a guess.

It’s probably to cover over the other mess of a boardwalk that’s already there and sunken fairly deep into the swamp, if it’s where I’m assuming it is. (Off the north end of Mitre Flats?)

I did email DoC in 2008, shortly after we were there in March 2008 (Harry that might be the visit you’re remembering as you were there on that occasion), and asked for details about the bunk removal thing and reasoning for it. The person who responded was helpful and pointed me to the Department of Building and Housing legislative goings on and on which DoC was urgently getting fixed, and said nothing to deny that bunks were being removed. At the time I assumed it was happening, which had been consistent with seeing one fewer bunk than expected at Cattle Ridge.

• #18533 Reply
      harry

Yeah, I know I was there, though I was trying to remember whether it was 2008 or 2007. And the bunk was missing then, it’s still missing now, and it was definitely in the news about then that DOC were removing bunks from huts to get the number under 6 so that they complied with the regulations.

I was guessing BCA stood for Back Country something – possibly just Back Country A as opposed to Back Country B or Back Country C.

I can’t remember that swampy spot you mention, though it’s been a long time since I last went that way. But honestly, is there really any need for boardwalks in the Tararuas (except possibly at a few touristy roadends like Holdsworth)? It’s not as if you’re going to keep dry in the Tararuas anyway…..

If DOC want to pay me 15 grand I’m quite happy to go in and throw a few logs and boulders in the swamp to act as stepping stones…..

• #18534 Reply
      Michael(Paddy) Janes

BCA- is defined in New Zealand Handbook -Tracks and Outdoor Visitor Structures SNZ HB 8630:2004 (NZ Standards Authority) as “back country adventurer”.
      The system was introduced,and made standard for all local body and government departments , in 2004.
      Tracks , and outdoor structures are all dealt with in this manual. A separate manual exists for Huts incorporating Building codes etc.
      The boardwalk north of Mitre Flats hut was not , in my opinion necessary, as the track through the swamp could have been re- routed. The cost for the construction ,materials ,helicopter etc was only my estimate, and is conservative.
      As a matter of interest tracks are divided into (1) Paths-UR (2) Short Walks -SST (3)Walking Track -DV (4)Great Walk/Easy Tramping Track-BCC(5)Tramping Track-BCA (6) Route-RS
      The rumour that DOC was removing a single bunk from 6 bunk huts was that , only a rumour.

• #18535 Reply
      harry

It’s not just a rumour that DOC was removing the sixth bunk from six-bunk huts a few years ago to make them comply with the regulations – it’s simple fact. See for example this Listener article from 2008 http://www.listener.co.nz/current-affairs/ecologic/whats-up-doc-4/ . And I have little doubt that that is the reason for the missing bunk at Cattle Ridge.

Personally I think it’s ridiculous that DOC is spending $15,000 (a conservative estimate!) to build a boardwalk in the middle of the Tararuas at a spot where whole generations of trampers (sorry, “Back Country Adventurers”) don’t seem to have had any trouble in the past. Especially if maintenance isn’t being done on huts for lack of money. As I said, I’m happy to go in and chuck a few stepping stones in the swamp, and I’ll even lower my price to a mere $10,000!! A bargain…..!

(Incidentally, Mackay Downs Hut, the hut discussed in that Listener article, was eventually saved as a result of public pressure. I visited it about 18 months ago. If you’re happy with off-track navigation it’s well worth visiting as a side-trip from the Heaphy Track.)

• #18536 Reply
      Michael (Paddy)Janes

Well , you learn something new every day they say!
      So why have all the other huts in the Tararuas that have six bunks not had similar treatment ?
      More research is needed….watch this space.

• #15384 Reply
      John Doyle

DOC is planning to remove Cattle ridge hut. It’s justification is the huts poor state of repair and it has an engineers report to back this up. The fact that they have deliberately neglected this hut for years with its removal in mind is obvious. Once gone this hut will not be replaced and a wonderful part of the Tararuas will be harder to access. There is a group opposed to this course led by Joe Nawalaniec and including the Deer Stalkers Association. The removal of this hut and the neglect of other huts and tracks is part of a policy to withdraw funding from unfashionable areas and put more money into showcase huts and routes. Do you want what’s happening at Powell hut to become the norm? If you contact me I can pass on contact details of the relevant people so you can have your say. We can’t let this happen. Please get involved.
      Thanks
      John

• #18537 Reply
      Michael (Paddy) Janes

harry , the 6th bunk at Cattle Ridge Hut was removed by Hans Kolinko,a NZFS employee, in 1974.
      The bunk was removed because cullers that used the hut did not want too many trampers, private hunters using the hut while they were in residence.The instruction to remove the bunk was issued by Noel Frazer ,NZFS.

• #18522 Reply
      Michael(Paddy) Janes

There is another thread on this subject.
      NZDA,Wellington Br were at one stage going to go “Community Agreement” with this hut , as DOC were actively seeking a maintenance contract at least 5 years ago……but because the department procrastinated over the offer, and sought other less viable options, the agreement was not forthcoming and it appears Wellington NZDA lost interest because of the beurocratic bungling.

• #18548 Reply
      MikeM

This is by no means certain, but it’s at least publicity.

From the Wairarapa Times Age:

Quote:
      Tramper haven looks safe

Avid tramper Joe Nawalaniec, who has been at the forefront of attempts to save the Cattle Ridge Hut in the Tararua Ranges from likely demolition, said yesterday he is now hopeful the hut will be safe.

Mr Nawalaniec said the department of Conservation (DoC) was “showing signs” of being willing to join the effort to make sure Cattle Ridge remains as a safe haven for trampers, hunters and bush walkers.

He is hopeful that DoC and New Zealand Deerstalkers Association will sign an agreement within the next two months that will allow for the hut to be refurbished and saved.

“I hope DoC Wairarapa will keep its side of the bargain to contribute resources for the refurbishment so that the agreement becomes a genuine partnership,” he said.

• #18550 Reply
      Old Goat

“Avalanche”Nawalaniac was NOT the initiator of attempts to save this hut.
      NZDA Wellington Branch have been involved for some years trying to nail DOC down to a “Community Agreement” to save the hut, but DOC have procrastinated in a way that only a government department can by failing to make a firm decision, and by opening negotiations with Bush Br , NZDA , who apparently dont have the money or the members to do the work.
      The Engineers first report on the hut was done many years ago, and the state of the hut has been known for ages.The last , or most recent report wont be that much different.
      The Wellington Conservancy recreation opportunities review OCT 2004 identified that the hut provided a different experience from Roaring Stag, and it was useful as a safety shelter on the tops,provided access to routes in the NE Tararuas..The decision of the review committee was that “DOC will work with the current custodian of the hut, NZDA Wellington to assist with the ongoing care and management of the hut. Some upgrade has been completed and the hut is currently sound”
      DOC needs to get off its ass and reopen talks with NZDA Wellington Br or it has not fulfilled its legal obligation to the Minister of Conservation to secure a “community agreement” within the timeframe allowed.

• #18557 Reply
      Old Goat

Well its old news now but Cattle Ridge has a “community agreement “.
      Wellington Br ,NZDA are the official custodians , well done Tony Macklin , you have more patience than a saint to get this upand running and save an iconic 6 bunk ( haha 5 bunks in this case ,Harry) NZFS hut.

• #18591 Reply
      CraigM

Outdoor groups are celebrating a decision to save and refurbish the old Cattle Ridge Hut in the Tararua Range, instead of demolishing it.

More information in this news article… http://www.times-age.co.nz/news/old-tramping-hut-to-be-saved/1532308/

• #18741 Reply
      Cody Jared

So, What is happening with the Hut?
      Are they going to remove it? or Change who maintains it?

• #18952 Reply
      Joe Nawalaniec

I’m not sure who “Avalanche” Nawalaniac is, Old Goat, but I certainly have pushed and worked very hard to save this hut. I haven’t “initiated” anything, just supported a process, so a little less intemperance here, perhaps? Presently, the hut is under a very temporary ‘non-removal regime’ – nothing has really moved beyond this. Hope this helps your understanding. If you want to save this hut, don’t just chuck idle words around – get off your bum and do something about it. Joe :)

• #18976 Reply
      Joe Nawalaniec

UPDATE : During Feb 2016 all the materials for refurbishing Cattle Ridge hut were flown up onto the site. Some initial work has commenced, with a large green-roofed woodshed built on a platform just north of the hut, and a helicopter pad cut just to the south east. Awaiting further spells of fine weather to continue work on the hut.

Viewing 23 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #18533 in Cattleridge Hut
Your information:

Cancel