28 May 2022 at 2:41 pm #52016Sam DavisKeymaster
Arnold Heine Collection Auction – of Mountain and Exploration Books (mostly)
Auction: Friday 17th June 2022
– books on view from 5.30pm; auction from 7.30pm
Book Sale: Saturday 18th June, 2022
– from 9.30am
Where: Hutt Valley Tramping Club
Birch Street Reserve, Waterloo, Lower Hutt
Hosted: Les Molloy, Patron of FMC
Dave Bamford, NZAC
Dennis Page, President of HVTC
- Most of the late Arnold Heine’s wonderful book collection, more than 1,500 books, will be sold.
- All of the proceeds of the Auction and Sale will be donated to the Federated Mountain Clubs of New Zealand (FMC) Mountain and Forest Trust.
- Arnold’s unique book collection is strong in mountaineering and exploration – ranging from the Himalaya and Tibet, through Central Asia and Siberia, Europe, North America, to the Pacific.
- There are many out-of-print books on New Zealand’s mountaineering history, tramping, hunting, geology, ecology, conservation and culture, as well as guidebooks.
- Some books are signed by A J Heine and some have a Heine Library bookplate.
- AUCTION – from 7.30 pm on Friday 17th June, 2022 – of 103 lots of rarer books – on view from 5.30 pm. A catalogue of the lots is available from . Absentee bids accepted by e-mail to until Wed. 15th June.
- BOOK SALE – from 9.30 am on Saturday 18th June, 2022 – of all remaining books. These books will not be on view until 9.30 am on Saturday morning.
- VENUE: Hutt Valley Tramping Club, Birch St Reserve, from Birch St, Waterloo, Lower Hutt.
Note: Some seriously rare/collectable books from Arnold’s Library – mostly Polar and Himalayan – are being sold through Colin Monteath’s Barking Mad Books website: https://colinmonteath.photoshelter.com/gallery/ARNOLD-HEINE-POLAR-MOUNTAIN-BOOKS/G0000ZDc8Budxcdg/C0000CrD_31