Otaki Forks detour

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Genevieve

Hi. Not long ago there was a nice description of the detour to get around the landslide on the way to Otaki Forks at this link: https://wtmc.org.nz/newsletter-editor/otaki-forks-docs-alternative-walking-route/
      but now it’s gone. Can someone point me in the right direction to find this again? Thanks!

• #39902 Reply
      Tony Gazley

Hi Genevieve

We were asked by DOC to remove it from our website as it was out of date and causing confusion. That alternative access is NOT available now because of land ownership changes.

DOC is currently negotiating a new temporary walking access but until that is completed there is no public access to Otaki Forks. The road is likely to be closed for some time (12 months?) so hopefully walking access will be availale soon.

• #39903 Reply
      Genevieve

Thanks Tony, I suspected there might be a reason like that.
      DOC does have a description of an ’emergency track’ https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/wellington-kapiti/places/tararua-forest-park/otaki-forks-area/otaki-gorge-emergency-track-to-tararua-forest-park/
      is this the same track renegotiated?

• #39904 Reply
      Tony Gazley
      Keymaster

Well that’s good news. And it certainly does sound like the same track renegotiated. I will check it out and if so we can reinstate the description on the website later today.

• #39947 Reply
      Tony Gazley

The start of the new temporary track is different from 2016. A guide to the track has been prepared by the good people at the NZ Tramping Calendar 2021 available for $20 cash at Bivouac Outdoor, Mercer Street, Wellington, hurry while stocks last, terms and conditions don’t apply.

More …

• #39963 Reply
      Genevieve

Good stuff. Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #39947 in Otaki Forks detour
Your information:

Cancel