Adventures Jan 5-15 2003

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      gabriel ossenkamp

Hello!

Anyone out there interested in some sort of 2nd South Island Christmas trip from around Jan 5 onwards for 10 -14 days ?

Ideas would be Olivine Ice plateau, sea-kayak/tramp southern Stewart Island, or a combined paddle-bushbash-climb of Mt Coronation via Doubtful sound. Or anything else…

Gabriel

• #16279 Reply
      Paul Jennings

I finish a easy cycle trip on the 4th in Central Otago, I would be interested in doing the Olivine Ice Plateau.

• #16280 Reply
      Geoff Keey

Subject to sorting out my leave entitlements, I would be keen on the Olivines too? What route were you thinking?

• #16281 Reply
      Andrew McCrorie

Hi I’m a member of HVTC.
      I’m in the UK at the moment but back for NZ summer (I’m back in Wgtn Dec 2nd) and looking to get together with some like minded people to do some long trans-alpine trips in January.
      I was thinking of a AP – Mt Cook route (or bits of it in the Whitcombe/Wanganui/Adams) but the Olivine plateau sounds good too. I’ve been up there once via Beans Burn/Forgotten R & out same way, keen to traverse right over ice plateau to/from Arawhata side.

Cheers Andrew McCrorie

• #16284 Reply
      Geoff Keey

One option would be to do a ‘crossing of the misty mountains’ and cross the southern alps from the Rangitata to the Perth over Terra Nova Pass and Sealy Pass. The Rangitata is a key location for the Two Towers part of the LOTR and the crossing of Terra Nova Pass would be a crossing of the mountains that form the misty mountains backdrop to Rohan in the LOTR.

It would be a spectacular trip. One could also return to Canterbury via the Garden of Eden or the Ramsay Glacier.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: Adventures Jan 5-15 2003
Your information: