WTMC resuming club trips
The good news is that WTMC will resume running club trips under Alert Level 2, although things won’t be quite back to normal straight away.
Initially at least, the club trips will be limited to day trips within the Wellington region so that we can comply with the Level 2 measures, in particular:
- Physical distancing (1 metre) and restrictions on gatherings
- Leaving home, but in a safe way.
In order to comply with the distancing measures, we will not use the club vans during Level 2 but use public transport where possible and also private cars if necessary.
Check this page regularly as there will be more trips added to the schedule over the next few weeks.
If you would like more information about a trip or would like to sign up to any of the trips, please contact the Chief Guide.
Last update: 3 June 2020
- Day(EM) Wellington, Urban Tramping around Zealandia fenceline track (Maj-Britt Engelhardt). Zealandia fenceline track, about a 9km loop, be prepared for some ups and downs. Must have your tramping pack (min weighted 10kg). Load it up with water, books, clothes, food, whatever. Take plenty of water, some snacks and make sure to give at least 1m distance to everyone. If you are interested in joining the trip can you please contact the WTMC President by Thursday 14 May
- Day (EM) Hutt Valley, Eastern Hills to Eastbourne (Tony Stephens). Train to Woburn Station then up onto Eastern Hills via Te Whiti riser or firebreak. Options to walk northwards to Stokes Valley and then bus and train back or walk southwards to Days Bay or Eastbourne and then bus back. Sign-up closes Wednesday 20 May.
- Day (M) Te Araroa trail, Porirua to Wellington (Rasmus Altenkamp). A big day walk (31km) starting at Porirua Station and finishing in the Botanical Gardens. Sign-up closes Wednesday 20 May.
- Day (EM) Wellington, City to Sea Walkway (Tiffany Shih). For those who are keen, this can be combined to create a loop (of sorts) back to town. Sign-up closes Wednesday 3 June.
- Day (EM) Waikanae, Hemi Matenga Reserve (Maj-Britt Engelhardt). Walk one or more tracks in Hemi Matenga Reserve, Waikanae. Be prepared for some ups and downs on possibly muddy tracks. Great training for the Tararuas. Must have pack weighted 10kg plus. Sign-up closes Thursday 4 June.
- Day (M) Orongorongo Valley, Remutaka FP (Maarten Ruiter). An adventurous Medium 8hr off track to south saddle then down a dry stream parallel to the Mt Mathews track. Great to train with full pack. Sign-up closes Wednesday 10 June.
- Day (EM) East Harbour Regional Park, from Days Bay (Marie Henderson). Navigation practice in East Harbour Regional Park. Sign-up closes Wednesday 10 June.
- Day (EM) Whakanui Loop, Remutaka FP. (Matt Conway). Sign-up closes Wednesday 17 June.
- Day (M) Poads Road, Tararua FP (Maarten Ruiter) Off-track, navigation practice which should take around 5 hours. Sign-up closes Wednesday 24 June.
Trip Schedule Planning
Trip schedule planning occurs three times a year, organised by the Chief Guide. Please propose your ideas for trips at any time, via an email to the Chief Guide.