Fixed Alpine Trip Schedule
Below is the list of WTMC alpine trips that are scheduled to go to specific destinations on specific weekends in Winter 2020.
Scroll down the page to find out more information about the WTMC ‘Flexible Alpine Schedule’, which is for “short notice” trips to enable more alpine trips to go ahead and more club members to get out and practice their skills.
For all trips, go to main trip page…
Last update: 18 Jul 2021
Alp1 (M) Tongariro NP, Tongariro North Crater campingfrom Mangatepopo Rd. map (Tiffany Shih + Marie Henderson), signup closes: 30 Jun 2021. CANCELLED – Weather Max group size of 8. Sign up online
30 Jul – 1 Aug
- Alp1 (M) Tongariro NP, Tahurangi from Ohakune Mountain Road. map (Tiffany Shih + Co-leader), signup closes: 14 Jul 2021. Fri night Blyth hut. Sat up to Tahurangi via Skyline ridge. Sun easy walk out Max group size of 8. Sign up online
- Alp1 (M) Egmont NP, Destination TBC from Dawson Falls.(Byron Camp), signup closes: #N/A. Max group size of 4. Sign up online
- Alp1 (M) Tongariro NP, Destination TBC from Mangatepopo Rd. map (Byron Camp), signup closes: 28 Jul 2021. Max group size of 4. Sign up online
- Alp 1 (M) Tongariro NP, Oturere Hut from Mangatepopo. map (Matt Conway), signup closes: 11 Aug 2021. Fri night: Mangatepopo hut. Sat: Cross stream and up to summit of Tongariro then down to Emerald lakes and Oturere hut. Sun: Back via pt. 1727, skirt base of Ngauruhoe and join main track. Max group size of 6. Sign up online
Flexible Alpine Trip Schedule
The Flexible Alpine Schedule is based on using a Wednesday weather forecast to pinpoint where the best weather conditions are for that weekend, and then plan an alpine trip in that area. These “short notice” trips are to enable more alpine trips to go ahead and more club members to get out and practice their skills.
As with tramping trips, Trip Leaders have the right to refuse people on trips if they are unsure about their capabilities. This is even more important in an alpine environment, where the risks and consequences are often more serious.
To register your interest for a trip, please email the address in column F by 12pm the Wednesday before the trip. Please include in that email:
- Any relevant medical conditions
- Any relevant dietary requirements
- If you have a cooker/gas you are willing to bring
- If you have a car you are willing to bring
- If you have a tent for alpine camping and how many it can sleep
- Confirmation you can meet the trip leader’s requirements (see column E)
- If you do not know the leader, a short description of your alpine experience
- An emergency contact person
- A cell phone number if the leader needs to get hold of you urgently
The Trip Leader or Facilitator will email you by 6pm Wednesday evening to let you know if you need to pick up any club gear.
They will also email you as soon as they are able to let you know:
- The trip plan (or that the trip is cancelled due to weather)
- Gear and food requirements/allocations
- Any costs you are required to pay before the trip departs
It is up to you to be watching your emails and be responsive to Trip Leader or Facilitator directions and deadlines from the Wednesday onwards. The Trip Leader or Facilitator will not chase you if they do not hear from you.