For all trips, go to main trip page...
Last update: 5 July 2018
1-4 Jun Queens B/day Weekend
- Alp1 (F) Seaward Kaikouras, Manakau - Uwerau Traverse from Kaikoura. map (Nick Horrell), signup closes: 09 May 2018. A demanding and rarely visited climb to the highest point of the Seaward Kaikouras. Approach via Stace Saddle, traverse Mt Manakau, descend to Uwerau and out via Hapuku Valley. Bivvies will be required. May require 4 days (extra day off work). Max group size of 6.
- Alp1 (M) Tongariro NP, Alpine Leaders Course from Lodge. map (Mike Phethean), signup closes: 23 May 2018. Open to existing tramping leaders, who have done Snowcraft and quite a few alpine trips.
- Alp1 (M) Tongariro NP, Moonlight Tongariro Alpine Crossing from Lodge. map (Nick Horrell), signup closes: 11 Jul 2018. Will only go if clear skies are forecast. Extra $30 pp may be required for staying at YHA in National Park on Friday night. Max group size of 8.
- Alp2 (F) Tongariro NP, Cathedral Rocks from Lodge. map (Mike Phethean), signup closes: 18 Jul 2018. Head up to the summit plateau and try various degrees of snow and ice climbing. You must be familiar with two axes and setting snow and ice protection Max group size of 6.
- Alp2 (MF) Tongariro NP, Pinnacle Traverse from Lodge. map (Nick Horrell), signup closes: 25 Jul 2018. Full traverse of the Pinnacle ridge starting with a climb of Great Pinnacle and thrilling 60m abseil off the top. Possibly try Chiming Bells/Traverse of the Gods second day. Good weather essential for this to run. Max group size of 4.
- Alp1 (MF) Nelson Lakes, Cotterel-Chittenden-Paske from Nelson Lakes. map (Stuart Meiklejohn), signup closes: 01 Aug 2018. 3 Days, so a day off work needed! Numbers may be limited depending on transport options. Saddles and Passes in Nelsons Lake near Cotterel/Chittenden/Paske. Long'ish days, with a possibility of going up one of the peaks if conditions allow.
- Alp1 (M) Nelson Lakes, Mt Angelus from Mt Robert Road. map (), signup closes: 01 Aug 2018. (MOVED TO 21-24 Sep)
31 Aug - 2 Sep
- Alp1 (F) Tararua FP, Maungahuka Hut from Holdsworth Road. map (Mike Wilson), signup closes: 15 Aug 2018. Holdsworth-to-Maungahuka circuit, back via Totara Flats to Holdsworth road-end. Very long but very wonderful days. 6 bunk hut. DOC search.
- Alp3 (MF) Tongariro NP, Girdlestone Peak from Lodge. map (Nick Horrell), signup closes: 22 Aug 2018. SE Face or similar. Previous trad/mixed/ice climbing experience required and confident alpine rope skills; possible Tahurangi traverse if time. May opt for backpackers in Ohakune Max group size of 6.
- Alp1 (MF) Tongariro NP, Ruapehu Summits from Lodge. map (Henry Fisher), signup closes: 29 Aug 2018. Advanced Alpine 1 - likely use of 2 axes, possibly a bit of rope; must be comfy enough with exposure
- Alp1 (M) Nelson Lakes, Mt Angelus from Mt Robert Road. map (Tony Gazley), signup closes: 29 Aug 2018. 3 days. 21-24 Sep.
- Alp2 (MF) Arthur's Pass, Mt Oates Traverse from Arthur's Pass. map (Henry Fisher), signup closes: 05 Sep 2018. Experience required for serious exposure. Trip will only proceed in very stable weather conditions.
Booking flights to CHCH is required. Max group size of 4.
- Alp1 (M) Arthur's Pass, Alpine day trips from Arthur's Pass. map (Megan Sety), signup closes: 05 Sep 2018. Flights required. Accommodation at NZAC (alpine club) Arthur's pass. Already oversubscribed.