avalanche safety kits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrew

Robyn Gordon (mother of a NZer snowboarder killed in a Japanese avalanche) has set up a new initiative that provides avalanche safety kits (ASK) at commercial ski hire places. If you plan to venture off piste or are going climbing but are short of gear check these kits out:
      1 M2 Ortovox transceiver, 1 probe, 1 shovel and a safety list all in a orange and green backpacks.

These packs are in the following rental outlets and hire out at $30 per day:
      4 at Alpine Sports in Queenstown,
      4 at Edge to Edge Whakapapa,
      2 at Ski Shed Ohakune,
      2 at Mt Equipment Palmerston North,
      2 at Ward Fuel Station, Blenheim,
      2 at BASE in Wanaka.

Robyn has also set up a National Trust in her sons name for the education of avalanche awareness in schools and clubs.

• #16250 Reply
      Raymond

would have been very useful last weekend…

• #16251 Reply
      Andrew

Why is that Raymond? Were you out climbing somewhere?
      I heard that the 15cms of fresh snow on Ruapehu was only an issue on the upper slopes – which is where avo control is usually carried out. Instruction courses benefitted from just enough cover on the safer lower slopes and ridges all within 15 minutes of the Lodge. Sounded like good conditions.

• #16252 Reply
      Raymond

yeah, right! sounds like good conditions for avalanches as evidenced by the TV one news footage of blasting on Whakapapa and numerous reports back to me about the actual conditions…

• #16253 Reply
      Andrew

After fresh snow on the top fields Whakapapa, and generally most ski fields, will blast to move unsettled snow. There is nothing unusual about this and often when I have been up at Ruapehu, even if the field has been opened, the blasting may continue up on the upper mountain. Use of explosives on skifields are not always a reliable indicator of high avalanche danger – it is also commonly used as a management tool to enable quicker settlement of snowpack for grooming and to prevent further buildup. I would be surprised if the fresh snow that weekend posed anything more than a “moderate” risk (check out MSC http://www.avalanche.net website for categories of risk), and then only on the higher slopes.

I would suggest that explosions make good tv, just as do cars sliding off the road, and a snowed over Desert road. Given the dire forecast for that weekend TV had obviously primed itself up for some more “weather bomb” and “freak storm” coverage (plus the crew probably get some skiing in for their troubles). It encourages those at home to turn up the heater and cram more comfort food down, thankful they are not out there in the big bad world.

Avalanche risk can be a very localised thing that depends on a myriad of factors including aspect, terrain, altitude, temperature and activity. Different areas on the same mountain can have very different loadings and risk profiles. It is very hard to generalise about a large area that has such a huge variance in terrain. Most risks can be minimised by sticking to ridges an spurs and unloaded slopes.

No doubt your numerous reports were from people “expert” in avalanche assessment, but it is hard to beat the level of experience of the instructors who were actually there (including A Higgins).

At the next AIC/Snowcraft weekend Jo will briefly mention the conditions that weekend to allay any concerns of those directly involved. If any students have concerns about the weekend they are free to raise those directly with instructors – there will also be a course feedback form.

See ya in the hills

• #16254 Reply
      Wayne

This initiative by Robyn Gordon is a great one – and no doubt some club trips may take advantage of these safety kits.

In terms of last weekend – it sounds like the media reaction to the avalanche risk was a bit overstated. I went skiing last Saturday – and while some parts of the field were closed, there was no risk in the areas that were open or in the areas where the club snowcraft course was held (which was also on the field or immediately adjacent to it).

Its strange to be writing a message about snow and avalanches – its about 40C where i am at present.. too hot (even inside the hotel).. would love an avalanche here right now!!

see ya
      Wayne

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: avalanche safety kits
Your information: