Climbing-exploration presentation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Grant Newton

Doug Scott will be giving a presentation, “Moments of Being” on Monday 22 July at 7pm. The venue is the Nordmire Lecture Theatre, Wellington School of Medicine, Mein Street, Newtown.
      The presentation will feature climbs and explorations in Bhutan, Nepal, Arunachal Pradesh and Tibet.
      The cost is $12pp – pay at the door

• #17115 Reply
      Shane (146.171.254.62),

Hi,
      I saw Doug Scott last time he was in New Zealand. Even got an autographed poster!
      Hes a great speaker with a fascinating life story. Highly recommended even if you arent into climbing in a big way.
      Cheers,
      Shane Connolly

Heres some snippets about Doug I found on the web:
      “Himalayan climbing is not the new rock n roll, and the greying, balding Scott no longer resembles one of the wild-haired Grateful Dead. He comes across as uncategorisable, more than averagely aware of his place in the world. Hes dwarfed by mountains, by timescale, by businesses, by tyrannies, yet hes a giant of a man. Wisdom and contentment tumble from him like rivers from a glacier. For all his skills and strengths, hes been lucky: fellow climbers and indigenous villagers have died whereas he survives. And he knows it. Hes a member of The Grateful Living.”

“Born in Nottingham 1941, started climbing at the age of 12. Married to the Indian climber Sharavati (Sharu), Prabhu.
      With a remarkable climbing career, with over 30 expeditions to inner Asia, Doug Scott is regarded as one of the worlds leading high altitude and big wall climbers. All his climbs are done in lightweight alpine style, except for the historic ascent with Dougal Haston of the Southwest Face of Everest in 1975. He has climbed all over the world and there are few mountain ranges not visited by him. Half of his climbs are first ascents.
      He has twice attempted the unclimbed, eight-mile long Mazeno Ridge of Nanga Parbat.
      By climbing the Carstens Pyramid he finished the “Seven Summits”, all the highest mountains on each continent.”

• #17117 Reply
      Allan Mac

last night I went to Doug’s talk up here in Auckland. I thoroughly enjoyed his laconic, laid back talk. I strongly recommend you go along to hear him talk and have a look at his slides.

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: Climbing-exploration presentation
Your information: