Proposed hut replacement priorities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Wayne Stevens

Hi all

Below is an Exec Summary of a draft report outlining suggested priorities for hut replacement in the Tararuas. DoC and the Hut Committee are seeking our club views on this. If you would like to see the full report please send me an email and i will forward it to you.
      Alternatively if you have any comments, please add a posting to topic or let me know.
      There is a Huts Committee meeting on 24 Feb to discuss this draft

thanks
      Wayne

HUT REPLACEMENT PRIORITIES
      THE NEXT FIVE YEARS 2003/04 ? 2007/08
      TARARUA AORANGI HUTS COMMITTEE
      V1 JAN 03
      RON PYNENBURG
      Executive Summary
      Consideration of the Tararua and Aorangi core hut network in the context of the national hut replacement programme suggests that the Huts Committee should plan for the replacement of up to seven huts over the next five years (2003/04 ? 2007/08). Only huts with retirement dates up to and including 2015 are addressed.
      Objective criteria have been applied to these huts. Those that must stay on the list have significant upgrade costs, high use or crowding, or for strategic reasons their location should change. Those that can be removed from the list have insignificant upgrade costs, low use, and a 2015 retirement date (as well as not being on the must stay list). This process has identified a short list of six huts.
      A review of all core network huts identifies two further huts to be added to the list. Jumbo hut has inadequate floor space and this must be addressed for consistency in the service standards and for the management of visitor?s expectations. A likely solution is an addition rather than replacement. Field hut is noted in the Hut Strategy as being replaced by a Table Top hut and there are reports of over-crowding. Given the ?historic? issues a solution is not proposed, but Field should be on the list.
      The proposed size of huts is based on the likely attraction of a new hut, its potential to become a destination hut and the likely growth in use over the life of the hut. The order in which huts are built is based on the projects that have already occurred, the size of the hut, the management requirements, the involvement of clubs and the need for consultation.
      The suggested project list is:
      ? 2003/04: Maungahuka (10 bunks), Washpool (10 bunks)
      ? 2004/05: Atiwhakatu (20 bunks), Jumbo upgrade
      ? 2005/06: Roaring Stag (20 bunks)
      ? 2006/07: Cow Creek (12 bunks), Tregear Creek(ex Penn Creek) (12 bunks)
      ? 2007/08: Field (upgrade or replacement)

• #17222 Reply
      kerry hudson

hi there , can you please send me a full copy of the report for planed changes to tararua huts many thanks Kerry Hudson

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Proposed hut replacement priorities
Your information: