Aimee goes bivvy bagging

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Megan.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony Gazley
      Keymaster

Neill – Winchcombe loop,

Tararua Forest Park.

Story and photos: Aimee Paterson.

25 – 27 February 2022.

With the pandemic peaking and the world generally burning, a solo tramp around the Tararua on a settled weekend was an appealing idea.

With some trepidation, I picked up my rental car on Friday afternoon and drove to the Waiohine Gorge road end. The first obstacle was some soft and loose gravel on the final hill before the carpark. My tiny rental car couldn’t get up! I ended up reversing and parking on a little verge and feeling a bit silly for not hiring a better car. 

I hurried along to the carpark, over the big swing bridge, and up the hill on the track to Cone Hut. The evening was warm and I was soon drenched in sweat. I muddled my way along and down to Cone Hut in the dark. I was quite pleased to have the company of two hunters for the night. 

I spent the night acting out my morning routine in my dreams. By 6.30 am I was plodding up to Cone Saddle. As the light increased and the sun got warmer I started to feel better. I came across a hunter’s camp, a lost bandana on the track (which I left on the sign at Cone) and another set of hunters coming out from their trip. By 8.45 am I was sat atop Cone, drying my sweaty back in the sun.

The light ground trail down to Neill Saddle and less frequent markings meant I had to pay close attention to staying on the track. Then it was an overgrown and steep climb up to Neill Peak. But once there, I enjoyed eating a Tararua biscuit while surveying the Southern Main Range.

The Southern Main Range viewed from Neill. Tararua Peaks centre skyline.

A roving trail along the narrow ridge led, eventually, to the goal of my tramp – the Winchcombe Bivvy. At 1 pm I was greeted by a sign and an amusing tiny corner of orange hiding behind the last remnants of tree at the bushline. Like the hut was hiding from me. I enjoyed looking up all the entries from my club buddies before me – Emily S (second visitor!), Sarah and Tony G, and Megan S and Stuart. I was even more pleased to add my name to the book.

Winchcombe Bivvy!

Aimee at the Winchcombe Bivvy.

After filling up on water from the tank, some lunch and a dry out in the sun, I pushed on up Winchcombe. I was feeling quite tired, but happy to be over halfway and relieved that predicted winds hadn’t materialised. Somewhere before point 1398 I was overtaken by a mountain runner. He was doing my whole weekend trip in a day. Way to make me feel lazy!

Heading up the Neill Winchcombe Ridge towards Mt Hector.

With a wee bit of poking around I got past some knobbly bits on the ridge and plodded slowly along the last broad slopes to Hector. There I triumphantly plonked down and texted my emergency contact that all was going to plan and I would aim for Alpha Hut. 

The frequency of stops and snacks increased as I neared the end of my day. Some clag rolled in on the climb up Alpha, but visibility stayed good enough to see at least one marker ahead. I arrived at the hut about 6.45 pm. Again I was pleased to have the company of two groups for the night. 

By Sunday morning I was more relaxed, feeling like the hard part of the trip was over. The only new and curious bit was Bull Mound – wide open clearings where the track disappeared in squishy moss. I took the downhill very slowly (being nervous of falling over when by myself). After crossing the river I had a break to wring out my socks at Cone Hut and resign the log book. The last stretch was a bit tiresome, but boy did I feel triumphant crossing the swing bridge at the end. A big Tararua loop and I had done it on my own!

Back at the car I was amused to see that another driver had struggled to get up the hill and parked behind my car, and while I was faffing, two more rolled up, got stuck, and reversed down the hill. Perhaps I wasn’t so silly after all.

A traditional club stop in Greytown for a pastry and drink completed my trip. I was thankful for all my club buddies who had patiently educated me throughout my previous seven years of club membership. I hoped they would be proud of me. I was finally a self-sufficient tramper!

• #49228 Reply
      Heather G

Nice read Aimee and well done on going solo, especially on a challenging route. I agree it’s great getting that first solo trip under one’s belt – and return home knowing more. Thanks for the photo of Winchcombe bivvy. Bivvies can be hard to find (even more so when they get removed!)

• #49258 Reply
      Irina Winsley
      Keymaster

Love your story and photos, Aimee.

• #49268 Reply
      Megan

Great trip Aimee!

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Aimee goes bivvy bagging
Your information: