The ferry leaving early

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Stephen

Bad luck for those travelling on the Interislander last night. I hope that Transrail provided some luxury accomodation for those left behind…… or did they let you pitch a bright red Club fly in the passenger terminal?

All the same, I think it is pretty poor when clubbies desparately try to get to Picton on time to meet the ferry only to see it sail off as you munch on your hamburger.

Wayne… in all your good negotiations with Transrail at trying to get cheaper fares etc, now is the time to seek (or better still demand) a written apology for Club records.

Cheers
      Stephen

• #16979 Reply
      Nick

For this who missed the front page article in this mornings Dominion, follow this link to read all about it.

<http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,604831a10,FF.html>

• #16982 Reply
      Andrew Trembath

I am sorry to Hear some people missed the ferry but you got to look at it at TranzRail side, The sailing time was 6:30pm THAT’S THE TIME THE SHIP LEAVES IT BERTH, NOT THE LAST CHECK IN IS DONE. It take time to remove the gangway and the span to get the ship ready to leave.The staff had check the people and there bags in and if they left and when to get food and missed it, it’s their fault, the ships can leave early if all the booked people are there and have check in REMEMBER AS A FOOT PASSAGER YOU HAVE TO BE THERE 1/2 HOUR BEFORE THE SAILING TIME. All the blame is not totally on TranzRail side. Thanks Andrew

• #16983 Reply
      Jeanine

But the point here is that we all checked in well before 6pm – and there was nobody/nothing telling people that the ferry would leave early. In fact when people asked at the terminal they were told it would leave at 6:30, so people then obviously assumed this would be the departure time. I’m sure nobody would really mind their new leaving time policy provided people were informed!

Jeanine

• #16984 Reply
      Wayne

Andrew

You obviously are not aware of the facts of what happened. Jeanine is correct we checked in well in advance of the departure time and are no time did Tranz Rail advise us of the early departure time – a couple of clubbies even asked what time the ship was leaving – one was even told that the ship was running 10 minutes late. There was no mention of an early departure.

Andrew you are wrong – the blame is totally on Tranz Rail’s side.

Thanks
      Wayne

• #16985 Reply
      Andrew

Andrew

I’d be interested to know whether the boarding passes are counted on being returned as people board the boat. I thought they were counted and had assumed that this is what determined whether all foot passengers were on board.

I can appreciate it takes time to remove the gangplank, but given the frequency within which passengers have a meal before the ferry sails this always seems to be done just before departure time in my experience.

I think last weekend the boat left at 6.15. Surely that means a decision had been made some time before that time that all passengers were aboard and then extra time to remove the gangplank. This would almost mean these decisions were made very soon after 6pm which is the minimum time advised for passengers to be ready to board.

No one expects the ferry to delay its scheduled departure for punters that have not arrived for boarding in time (even if checked in and with boarding passes), but I think it is reasonable to expect that passengers can board up to 5-10 mins before departure.

• #16987 Reply
      Andrew Trembath

Thanks for all the replys to my note about the ferry leaving late, I am only go on what I know by working at the Wellington ferry terminal for over six years. To answer the question about boarding pass they are counted at the top off the gangway to let them know how many are on the ship if you do not broad the ship they do not know about until you tell them. It’s only a way to get a count for the M.S.A. The second one about leaving early the captain will ask the duty manager can we get away early if all the cars,trucks and rail are loaded and its after the half hour shut out they can let it go it up to the duty manager. And the last point even if a ship comes in late it can get leave on time or early as in this case. I am not taking Tranz Rail side but I think you should know both sides of the story.
      Andrew

• #16988 Reply
      Andrew

Thanks for the backgrd info Andrew. We’ll see how things go this long weekend! Might try for our own truck for luggage as there is a fair number of us.

• #16989 Reply
      Andrew Trembath

If you what a truck give the duty manager a call before hand if you have the time the phone number is 4983223 and tell tell you would like a truck to load your gear on and how many are travlling, and ask them if they can inform picton for your return trip. Hope you have a great trip Andrew

Viewing 8 reply threads
Reply To: The ferry leaving early
Your information: