Xmas trip to Aspiring

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Pinkerton

There’s one space left in my car for the Xmas trip to Mount Aspiring National Park area. The people need to be confirmed by this Friday (24 November)!

The ferry crossings…
      Wellington-Picton: Wed 20th Dec at 8 am on the Lynx (start early!)
      Picton-Wellington: Sat 6th Jan at 5.10 am on the InterIslander

Driving down from Picton to Wanaka/Glenorchy/
      Mount Aspiring area on the 20th Dec.

The exact plans once there are not sorted out yet. We’ll get some ideas together before we go then see what the weather allows.
      Something like:

7-9 day tramp from 21st. Maybe the 5-passes trip that Grant (Newton) did last year. If the weather is good, throw in some peaks+alpine mountaineering (not too tough).

After the tramp, maybe some rock climbing on the Wanaka slabs, weather allowing or just chilling out in Glenorchy/Wanaka.

In Glenorchy for New Year (fancy dress party! meet up there with Jim Kimber’s trip post-Routeburn, compare notes on cooking of full dehydrated-roast turkey dinner over Christmas on MSR).

Restock and a short 3-4 day trip to be decided.

Fri 5th Jan: Drive back to Picton and back to Wellington on the
      ferry for the Sat 6 Jan.

The cost (if we get 4 people) will be $188 return each for the ferry. I guess the nominal grade will be “fit” but the route plan is open to suggestions!

Give me an email or phone (H: 04 384 8234, W: 04 386 0382) if you’re interested.

Cheers-

Matt

Viewing 0 reply threads
Reply To: Xmas trip to Aspiring
Your information: