[Sent to trip leaders on 21 April 2022]
This email provides a brief update about WTMC club trips:
- Next week: Trip planning session for the winter/spring schedule
- Upcoming training courses
- New WTMC committee and call for Volunteers
- Refund policy published online
Trip planning session for the winter/spring schedule
Planning for the July-October period is starting soon! Whether you plan to lead a trip or just go along to one, come along to discuss your ideas so we can put them on the next schedule.
- Join us at the club next week on Wed 27 April from 7pm to share your ideas.
- Free pizza! Bring your ideas, wishlist and any maps you own.
- If you can’t make it, feel free to email your suggestions to the Chief Guide.
Upcoming training courses
We have a number of courses pencilled in over the next six months:
- 22 May: Navigation (Day course). Learn how to use a map and compass.
- 10-12 June: Alpine Leadership (Weekend course). Alpine risks identification and management, learn to lead club alpine trips.
- 28-31 July: Snowcraft (Long weekend course). Mountaineering skills for beginners.
- 24 August: Chips and Leadership: (Evening course). Learn and practice the basics to lead club trips.
- 28 August: Avalanche Awareness (Day course, contracted to Hilary Outdoors). Assessing snow conditions and companion rescue.
- 17-18 September: Bushcraft (Weekend course, contracted to OTNZ). Tramping skills to stay safe in the bush.
- 29 October: River safety (Day course, contracted to OTNZ). Assessing and crossing rivers.
New WTMC Committee and call for Volunteers
- There was a good turn out both in person and online at the AGM on 6 April. Members who were present (or gave a proxy) elected the new committee and voted in a new club logo (top of this email). To meet the new Committee, check the governance page – or even better, come say hi on a club night.
- All club activities and events are ran by volunteers – We always need help for small and big tasks! Whether you have a lot of tramping experience (or not) and a lot of time to help (or not), there are opportunities for all. Read more about how you can support the club on the volunteering page.
Refund policy now published online
Over the last year the refund policy has been updated quite a few times! All changes have been uploaded online. In a nutshell:
- Please make sure you submit a tax invoice/receipt when requesting a refund.
- If a trip is cancelled (e.g. weather), the trip leader is responsible for collating all names, account numbers and amounts and providing these to the Treasurer.
- If someone pulls out of a trip at the last minute, they are usually not eligible for a refund. Exceptions can be considered on a case by case basis for covid-related reasons or cn ompassionate grounds. Requests for exceptions should be sent to the Chief Guide.
Check out the policy and additional guidance at the bottom of this page on the club’s website.