We’ve got a number of great talks this month featuring places that our members have been, starting with the Tararuas and going over the ditch to Australia:
- 5 August – Brendan Eckert will take us on a canyoning adventure down Chamberlain Creek in the Tararuas, where abseiling meets tramping.
- 12 August – Joe Harbridge will share his explorations of historic huts in Kahurangi National Park.
- 19 August – Beccy Day and Gareth Gretton visited western Australian and walked the Bibbulman Track.
- 26 August – Emma Myhill and David Harris will talk about dipping in to the Kaweka hot pools to keep warm with our cold winter weather.
- 2 September – Sharron Came will take us back to the Kahurangi National Park and her exploration of the Lockett range.
While I’ve got your attention….I need your suggestions for creative social nights. Who would you like to hear from or what would you like hear about?
- It could be a trip from a member either done this year or 50 years ago.
- It could be an astronomer about how to use the stars to navigate.
- Or what about weather patterns?
- Bicycle maintenance when you’re cycle touring?
- Repairing your waterproof kit (like parkas, tents and waterproof over trousers)?
- Maybe it’s the author of a book?
- The editor a magazine?
- The producer of a film?
- The greatest alpinist ever? Or the one least known?
Give me your suggestions! Even better nominate a person or suggest a person – I’ll track them down and I won’t even reveal who nominated them.
And while you’re thinking – I also need volunteers to help run a gear swap night and a masterchef cook off competition – tramping style. Interested????