[This email was sent on 30 August 2022]
This email provides a brief update on club trips:
- Upcoming trip planning session for the Nov-Feb period (Wed 7 Sept)
- Step by step instructions to activate club PLBs
- Upcoming training courses
- Templates for new trip leaders
Ngā mihi, nā
Anne de Ferron
Trip planning session for the winter/spring schedule
It’s that time of year again – planning for the November-February period is starting soon! Whether you plan to lead a trip or just go along to one, come along to discuss your ideas so we can put them on the next schedule.
- Join us at the club next week on Wed 7 Sept from 7pm to share your ideas.
- Free pizza! Bring your ideas, wishlist and any maps you own.
- If you can’t make it, feel free to email your suggestions to the Chief Guide.
Step by step instructions to activate a club PLB
The club owns two types of Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs): FastFind220 and GME MT410G.
- Instructions on how to use a PLB are printed on the device. Step by step instructions and videos are also available on the club website under ‘club gear‘.
- For trip leaders – Make sure you are familiar with how to use the club PLB before you are on the track! This is particularly important to make sure you are well prepared, and to limit risks of accidental activation while in the bush.
- Before you start a tramp, it is a good idea to also make sure everyone on a trip knows who carries the club PLB and understands how to use it.
- Please do not ‘test’ the battery! This can deplete the battery faster than anticipated if multiple people test a PLB. Club PLBs are maintained by the Emergency Contact Coordinator, who is responsible for testing and replacing batteries as needed.
- Club policies on When to use a club PLB and What to do after deciding to activate a PLB are available online under ‘Governance‘ (PLB policy starts on p20).
Upcoming training courses
There are a number of training courses coming up:
- 17-18 Sept: Bushcraft (WTMC members only)
- 14-16 Oct: Ski touring course (WTMC members only)
- 28-30 Oct: River safety (WTMC members only)
- 18-19 Nov: Packrafting 101 (public course, only 1 spot left!).
Templates for new trip leaders available
A couple of templates are now available online under ‘Trips’ > ‘For trip leaders‘, to help you organise your first club trip. These are guidance only – they are here to help but not required to be filled in by leaders.
- A trip planning template, to check you have all aspects covered including itinerary, potential hazards, road access etc.
- A wtmc club trip checklist, to check sure you have completed all the admin tasks for your trips (e.g. when to send emails and tips on what to include, how to check payments, confirm vehicle, etc).
If you are interested in leading or co-leading trips, including day walks or more serious tramps, please contact the Chief Guide.