The WTMC hosted the 2016 Bum Sliding Competition at Mt Ruapehu on Saturday 5 November. There was a large turnout of enthusiastic riders (5 total) and many spectators lined the courses to watch (3 total for the last 10 minutes).
The weather was described as ‘atmospheric’, meaning mist, rain, snow, and wind in various combinations and severity during the event. But the snow was in good condition for sliding and offered many varied courses.
- Women’s individual downhill with a direct hit on a spectator – Heather.
- All other women’s events first, second and third places shared equally between Joanna, Robyn and Rosanne
- Every men’s event, first, second and third places – Tony
- The mixed sprint event was marred by a disputed finish after one of the spectators (Nick) challenged Heather to a race and then claimed his second place was due to him not wanting to ‘take out’ Heather. However, the TMO immediately disallowed the protest pointing out that he had failed to even cross the finish line so he was disqualified from further participation in the event
- Special prize for the most novel slider – a wooden kitchen cutting board wrapped in a plastic bag that was used for the win in the mixed sprint event – Heather.
After the event competitors and spectators retired to the club lodge for a well-earned lunch and drinks.
For the video replay of Heather’s prize-winning slide go here.