Boot recommendations please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kathryn Reid

Hi,

I have to replace my tramping boots (last pair – Solamons – were very uncomforable with the padding under the toes) and was hoping for some recommendations as to suitable boots to look at. I would be looking for a woman’s boot that are designed for 2-4 day tramping on tracks (not much – if any-alpine).

Does anyone have any suggestions – I would really appreciate some help!

Thanks
      Kathryn

• #17365 Reply
      Lee-Ann – Promotions officer

Hi Kathryn..well reccomending boots is a bit like reccomending bras…..it often comes down to a personal choice and how you feet react to footwear in general.
      I have had a pair of Solomon Women’s trekking boots (suede semi flex – cant rember style name)which are flexible and they are fantastic..Ive had them 2 years and they have worn really well…i did find after a year I needed new inner soles as they delaminate and caused rubbing under the toes.

my feet react bad to any foot wear and I get blisters really easy..however I wore these for a few tramps without wearing them in and they were great, theyve done the himalayas, and Ive even been able to attach crampons as they have enough rigidity to allow for crampon use as I only do basic above bushline alpine walks and not serious mountaineering.

Other woman trampers prefer leather Scarpas..but it is preference and dependent on whether youve got a wide foot etc

I could only suggest going back to a supplier of the shoes/outdoor shop and asking why your injury happens,

maybe try new socks ( a thin layer under a thick layer without seams ( seams around the toes dont help!) and try new inner soles and see what happens…often these things make the difference.

Often some people have tender spots that will rub no matter what boot due to bunions etc…once again try strapping tape and good socks…..

it maybe worth trying this for a daywalk before spending more money on boots. ..and if you do try them in a well known store like Bivouac, or mainly Tramping, see if you can buy them take them home, wear only inside for considerable time and see what happens?

sorry only fantastic comments from me on Solomon.
      Good luck

• #17366 Reply
      Wayne

“reccomending boots is a bit like reccomending bras…..it often comes down to a personal choice” – didnt the Santiago kisser (Glynne) say the same thing?

my personnal favourite for boots is the Buller gumboot – but most people think im a bit nuts wearing them (especially when there is no tread left or the back of them is split). THey have no ankle support but are great in the mud and wet (but a shocker on dry hard tracks). Probably not an ideal boot for everyone

Think however that there are some good light weight boots on the market these days. Avoid the fully rigid boots – they are great for climbing in the snow but are torture in the bush (its like walking around with a concrete block on ya feet).

Selection of what boot is also a function of where you are going to use it – snow or not. In the bush or trekking overseas. If snow often – ie trans alpine trips – best to go for leather. Only climbing is a plastic climbing boot. Bush – i prefer my gumboots but a leather boot or perhaps a lighter material boot is ok. Trekking overseas – best to go for a lightweight boot (carrying heavy leather boots overseas can blow that baggage allowance).

The advice by LeeAnn about wearing two pairs of socks (a light inner sock with a heavy outer sock) is good advice – also not buying boots that are too tight is important. Also everyone has different feet sizes and shapes – Ive also found that may Europeans tend to not like kiwi boots and vice versa also (due to feet shapes/sizes..)

If all else fails – there are tevas.. great ventilation but brrrr (not the best in winter and you have to watch out for wallys stepping on ya toes)

good luck
      Wayne

• #17367 Reply
      Steve Kohler

Another vote for the Buller boot (a lace-up ankle rubber boot) used widely in past decades by trampers, governement deer cullers and the like.

The beauty of buller boots (or gummies as we used to call them) is that the require no breaking in…..you can put them on brand new and they won’t cause probs.

The down side is, of course, they are too flexible to take crampons. I have recently had to put aside expensive leather boots which were giving me tendonitis of the archilles and buy a new pair of gummies.

They cost about $99 and come in mens sizes only from 6 to 13. The smaller sizes often fit women. Nearest reatil outlet to Wellington that stocks them is Hunting and Fishing NZ in Alicetown.

Good luck.

• #17368 Reply
      Ruthless

Tramping boots must be the hardest piece of tramping gear to choose as it really impacts on your enjoyment of tramping if your feet are not comfortable.

I have to put in a vote for my Garmonts – dont know what style they are sorry. They are a leather boot (which I would not describe as heavy compared with some of my previous pairs) with an all in one tounge as opposed to a seperate piece of leather stitched in. They are good for tracks, rivers, snow.

They are really comfy – that is after I started wearing 2 pair of socks with them. Asside from constant blisters on the backs of my heels initally they broke in really quickly, but as soon as I started wearing a thinner inner sock the blisters magically stopped occuring.

Tramping socks can be costly but it is worth the $$ to get a good pair as they offer cushioning to the soles of the feet and help prevent blisters.

Like Lee-Ann suggests go to a good tramping store. Talk to a staff member who knows about boots & dont be afraid to try lots of pairs inc. arranging to take them away to try out indoors. wearing them around the office for a day or at home over a few evenings should help your final choice. It is a good idea to be trying boots on towards the end of the day or in hot weather as your feet tend to swell a little during the day & in the heat.

Good luck
      Ruth

• #17369 Reply
      Katja Riedel

Hi Kathryn!

Since you asked especially for women boots I assume that you might have the same problem as I have and that your feet are wobbling around in normal boots. I reccomend LOWA, a German brand sold by Mainly Tramping and maybe Bivouac. Lowa boots are cut much narrower than other boots. They also have special women boots (which were too narrow for me). I have my third pair of LOWA boots now and they were always the most comfortable boots.

A women boot from Montrail got a really good review recently (sorry can’t rememebr where I read it). I think the name is Solitude, sold by Bivouac.

The NZ Wilderness magazine has a bootfinder on its webpage. You will find a lot of information from the diferent brands there, unfortunately no rating or experienced review.
      http://www.wildernessmag.com/gear/bootsfinder.html

Good luck from me as well. I hate boot shopping.

Katja

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Boot recommendations please
Your information: