Coal Island Fiordland – volunteer program

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Goodhue

Heres your chance to spend time in remote Preservation Inlet in Fiordland.

The Southwest NZ Endangered Species Trust is setting up a volunteer program to help with the establishment of a safe habitat for endangered species on Coal Island in Preservation Inlet. The Trust is looking for volunteers for work programs in the first week of December 07 and the last week of February 08. Work is mainly stoat trap maintenance and track maintenance. We are looking for volunteers for both trips. Trips are based on flying into Preservation Inlet from Tuatapere on Monday and out on Friday. Accommdation will be provided at Kisbee Lodge. Volunteers would need to get themselves to/from the helicopter base at Tuatapere and pay $550 each towards costs.

A number of Club members have spent time with us at Kisbee and can tell you more about the place (Allen and Sue Higgens, Roger Bolam).

If you want more information or are inteested in getting involved drop me a line
      Don

• #18090 Reply
      neil foster

Don Goodhue Wrote:

> Heres your chance to spend time in remote
      > Preservation Inlet in Fiordland.
      >
      > The Southwest NZ Endangered Species Trust is
      > setting up a volunteer program to help with the
      > establishment of a safe habitat for endangered
      > species on Coal Island in Preservation Inlet. The
      > Trust is looking for volunteers for work programs
      > in the first week of December 07 and the last week
      > of February 08. Work is mainly stoat trap
      > maintenance and track maintenance. We are looking
      > for volunteers for both trips. Trips are based on
      > flying into Preservation Inlet from Tuatapere on
      > Monday and out on Friday. Accommdation will be
      > provided at Kisbee Lodge. Volunteers would need to
      > get themselves to/from the helicopter base at
      > Tuatapere and pay $550 each towards costs.
      >
      > A number of Club members have spent time with us
      > at Kisbee and can tell you more about the place
      > (Allen and Sue Higgens, Roger Bolam).
      >
      > If you want more information or are inteested in
      > getting involved drop me a line
      > Don

Hi Don, At the present time my partner Joanne and I are unable to enlist on the volunteer program for coal Is. However we want to register our interest in the program and express interest in future efforts. We are about to sell our home and purchase a 5th wheel to live in and work from. Joanne is a fine water color artist and I a photographer.We have been discussing Preservation Inlet for some time as the whole area fascinates us.I was a ranger trainee during 1969-71 in the wildlife branch of internal affairs and have had a lifetime passion for NZ flora & fauna.
      Don can you supply us with some more info on the work being undertaken and also some info on Kisbee lodge.Is the lodge able to be used? what costs involved, who to contact etc. Thanks and regards Neil Foster

• #18237 Reply
      Viveca Luc

Hi my name is Viveca, I’m swedish and are about to take a master degree in forestry. 2004 i was living in NZ and are now coming back for two months in December an January. Last tie i heard it was possible to do volonteer work in the firodland and since I’v always wanted to come back and do that. So I was wondering if you have any space availble in December. Would be so great if you had. Tried to contact the DOC, but the don’t have anything availble.

Regards
      Viveca

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: Coal Island Fiordland – volunteer program
Your information: