Coal Island/Preservation Inlet volunteer trips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Don Goodhue

There are spaces available on volunteer trips to Coal Island and Preservation Inlet in southern Fiordland in the first week of December and last week of February. Usually fly in from near Tuatapere on Sunday and out following Friday or Saturday. Spend a few days servicing stoat traps and tramping in some of the remotest part of the country. I would rate the tramoing as a good medium trip. Volunteers need to get themselves to Invercargill and cost for trip is currently around $650. Mostly to cover cost of helicopter.

Anyone interested drop me a line and I can provide further information. A number of club members have been on these trips oiver the last few years.

• #18377 Reply
      Barry FOSTER

Hi Don,

I and my partner are interested in participating in one of the future volunteer trips to Coal Island in say early January when I have time off work. I am a member of the Gisborne Branch of Forest & Bird and also the local Canoe & tramping club. In January 2008 I visited Preservation Inlet as part of a trip on the buck eye ketch The Breaksea Girl that sailed from Doubtful sound to Invercargill. It was a fascinating trip and i was certainly drawing to this area and Fiordland in general. I would be pleased to take part in any volunteer work you have on this island.

This is really to express my interest in this work.

Kind Regards,
      Barry Foster

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Coal Island/Preservation Inlet volunteer trips
Your information: