GPS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Pete

Hi, almost a year after the last gps post, wondered if anyone has used a Garmin Etrex or EtrexH model in anger? Looking for an early christmas present for myself! Otherwise recommendations more than welcome

thanks

pete

• #18068 Reply
      Glynne Lloyd

Hi Pete,

I have used the basic eTrex on SAR operations and exercises. The main problem with it is that reception is not very good under tree cover (i.e. in the bush).

I have no experience with the eTrexH but reading the blurb on it, it sounds like it has a much better receiver that will provide better reception under tree cover. I think they are trialing this type for SAR so it will be interesting to see how they go if we get them.

I believe the basic eTrex is a discontnued line, replaced by the eTrexH.

Note: If you are buying an older second hand GPS make sure that it can handle the latest NZ mapping projection and mapgrid as the old 1949 projection and associated maps are being phased out (I think, not 100% sure) and replaced with ones based on the 2000 projection.

Cheers, Glynne

• #18070 Reply
      Mike

Hi guys, I’m a kiwi living and hiking (tramping) in the US and use the Garmin eTrexH model. The ‘H’ stands for high sensitivity and I can vouch for that. It has worked great in the heavy summer foliage New England forests here with no issues.I also recommend that you purchase a interface cable for the unit also, order one from Hong Kong off eBay for less than $10.

I download the GPX file locations for shelters/huts here onto the unit and upload to my PC tracks. All they need to do now is provide the GPX file locations for every NZ DOC hut and you will be set!

Regards,
      Mike

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: GPS
Your information: