GPS Users Still Lost in the Woods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Shane

I thought people who use GPS would enjoy this Wired article:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60379,00.html

Do GPS users in NZ face similar problems with false or no readings?

Shane (compass man) Connolly

• #16427 Reply
      Andrew

I’ve only used a GPS three times – twice in a real time bush environment. On both of the latter occasions the unit failed to give readings that made any sense despite having fresh batteries and a clear line of sight to a sufficient number of satelites. The solution was to disconnect the battery source and reboot – but we founf this out too late on the 1st instance.

I’ve also had trouble getting fixes in thick bush.

As the article suggests GPS and locater beacons are making some less experienced outdoors people push their limits – there is no replacement for good observation skills, map reading skills and compass work.

When they can combine a reliable unit into a reasonable sized watch I might be interested in using them as a back up to primary nav tools. But in the meantime eyes, paper and magnetic fields do me fine ….

• #16430 Reply
      shane

I must also say that I know of two seperate parties travelling into the Garden of Eden that have had there bacon saved by using GPS….

GPS seems to be very usesful in open tops in foul wx.

-s

• #16434 Reply
      Yibai

GPS bashing!!! Personally I’ll never go somewhere new without a map and compass, but it’s always a good backup system. Even Alan and Sue got lost once on top of kaimanuwas, and it’s my GPS saved the day!

• #16436 Reply
      Raymond

The GPS system is as good as the user. I have used my Garmin 12CX in the thickest of East Coast bush (Raukumara Ranges) and almost always got a reading when it was necessary. It may take longer than in the open, but it is generally successful. In whiteout conditions they are extremely useful especially with waypoints marked. Having said that you shouldn’t leave home without a map and compass and know how to use both.

• #16442 Reply
      John Saunders

As a back-up, GPS is invaluable, and here’s why. I was coming off Kahiwiroa in appalling conditions, feeling rather stuffed and looking for the Anderson Memorial turn off. In that scenario, my Garmin etrex gave me peace of mind. If it helps you avoid a false spur in this scenario just once, it’s paid for itself. Sure, when you’re in the bush you have to find a gap in the canopy, but if that’s a problem, perhaps you shouldn’t be there to start with. Hans Willems’ new book Tramping Smarter has a very extensive chapter on local use of GPS – there’s some interesting stuff in there about reducing the error factor. I have experienced a significant error over Arete.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: GPS Users Still Lost in the Woods
Your information: