Great biking (and rafting?) opportunity!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      John Rhodes

Hello folks! Roll up, roll up for the greatest biking opportunity since Harriette and Shane fell in love while biking through France…..

At Anniversary Weekend in January we’re biking the Wanganui River down from Raetihi – My inclination is for a laid back trip with long stops and much time for sightseeing – but it’s only 105 km Raetihi to Wanganui, whereas 150 to 200 would be better for 3 days. If we start and finish in Wanganui we could do the Parapara /Wanganui loop, total 196 km?

Alternatively mabe there are some walks we could do to fill in time on the 106km option.

Or we could get to Wanganui in 2 days and do some sightseeing thereabouts?

I’m open to suggestions. and here is one…..

If punters are really keen for a fun adventure we could take cycle/rafting lessons from those mad Kennett buggers – make that brothers – and re-enact their world famous (in Pipiriki) trip of 1987 – READ ON…..

“The Kennetts set out to ride from Ohakune to Marton ? via the Bridge to Nowhere and the Whanganui River). Getting down the deserted, bush-clad Mangapurua Valley to the Bridge to Nowhere was hard enough. But then came the ultimate challenge: rafting 30 kilometres of the Whanganui River. The brothers built a raft from tractor tyre tubes, dead branches and twine and piled their bikes aboard. A canoeist told them the road at Pipiriki was about six hours away. However, after a few hours’ quiet drifting a ranger came past in his jet boat. “I’ve never seen anything like this before!” he exclaimed. Jonathan asked “How long do you think it will take?” “At that rate, about three days” came the answer. “Have you got plenty of food?” “Yes” they lied. From then on the three paddled hard.

“By about 10 p.m., they were becoming exhausted and anxious, arguing over the best route through rapids dimly visible by the light of glow-worms and stars. The last and fiercest rapid, still several kilometres from their goal, tipped them over. They dragged themselves and the raft out of the river, shared a single packet of soup and fell asleep. Breakfast was a third of a muesli bar each. The adventurers dismantled their raft, assembled bikes and hungrily followed a 4WD track to Pipiriki ? which had no shop!

“Eventually they made it to a store near Wanganui, refuelled and continued to Marton just in time to catch the train home.”

Whaddaryareckon, guys? (and guyesses?)

Cheers

John

• #16464 Reply
      Gary Goldsworthy

So, you’re not planning on dying of old age then John?

• #16465 Reply
      Andrew

I’m in – maybe some small technicalities around the national park status of the Bridge to Nowhere track but I’m sure the weight of an FMC editor can push thru such obstacles, and besides I’m sure the track is still a legal road.

I’m off to dust off the truck tube now!

• #16466 Reply
      John Rhodes

get back to your own club, interloper !!

(unless you want to come, that is……)

• #16467 Reply
      John Rhodes

good man Andrew!!

How about enticing your neighbours (J & B)? A little expertise could be useful…..

John

• #16468 Reply
      David Turnbull

If you are mad enough to consider rafting an alternative to that would be to begin at Marton, cycle the Turakina Valley to Tangiwai and then continue on to Pipiriki and down the river road. This could well cut out the long tea stops and the tramping and thus take all of the pleasure out of the trip. I hope to do this trip soon and will let you know how pointless and miserable the whole experience was. Regards, Dave

• #16469 Reply
      Stuart

Count me in John. I dont drink tea though, am I still allowed to come along? last year I saw a crowd on teh river with truck inner tubes under 4 wood pallets, on top were deck chairs, a 3 burner gas bbq complete on trolley, 2 dads, 4 kids, a chilly bin, fishing rods and lots of tomato sause. Could have easily got some bikes on board as well. Mind you, in there defence, they did have a outboard motor attached to the back…

I noticed at club your trip list is up twice (one yellow copy and one green copy), they must be intending you to get a lot of punters.

Stuart

• #16471 Reply
      John Rhodes

Hi Stuart, I’m getting scared now, both you and Andrew are keen, I might actually have to do it…..

John

Viewing 7 reply threads
Reply To: Great biking (and rafting?) opportunity!
Your information: