Hut wardening, Travers/Sabine Valleys

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Gilbert

While I was in Nelson Lakes last weekend, a DOC ranger approached me (she saw our van!) and asked me to pass on a request for hut wardens in the Nelson Lakes national park this spring and summer.

Each opportunity is for two persons (working apart) for two week periods with one day off between weeks.

Volunteers are sought to act as hut wardens in the beautiful Travers and Sabine Valleys in the Nelson Lakes National Park. Applicants must be fit and experienced back country trampers who are capable of walking 4 to 6 hours per day with a heavy pack. They must enjoy relating to other trampers and preferably have a working knowledge of the Nelson Lakes area. Basic duties include checking hut passes, disseminating information to trampers, hut cleaning and minor hut maintenance.

Volunteers need to be fully equipped with warm waterproof clothing, boots and other tramping gear and supply their own fresh food. Some freeze dried meals will be provided along with any transport between St Arnaud and the track ends (including boat transport). References may be checked and/or police checks may be carried before applicants are accepted.

Fitness requirements: High

Supplied: Transport from St Arnaud, some freeze dried meals and hut
      accommodation in field and basic accommodation (without food) between weeks and
      before starting in St Arnaud.

Cost: Nil

Enquiries: email or phone 03-5211 806

Dates:
      8 to 20 December 2010
      22 December 2010 to 3 January 2011
      5 to 17 January 2011
      19 to 31 January 2011
      2 to 14 February 2011
      16 to 28 February 2011
      2 to 14 March 2011
      16 to 28 March 2011