looking for sightings of missing mtn biker in Tararuas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Wayne Stevens

Tues 26 April

We have had a report of a missing mtn biker – in the Tararuas

A 24 yr old guy left Sat from Raumati with the intention of doing the Southern Xing to Kaitoke and then cycling to Naenae. He has a full tramping pack with him including tent and map and compass. He has a yellow mtn bike with him

He was due out Monday pm and left instructions with family to contact SAR today midday if not out.

We know that around 1655 he sent a txt msg that he was 400m from Alpha hut and was cold and exhausted and loosing cell phone coverage

At this stage we are intending to activate any SAR response today as we are still assessing the situation. Hopefully the missing party will cycle out today. But we would like to hear from anybody within SAR or within the wider tramping club community or others who may have seen this guy. Im sure anybody who will have seen him will remember him – its not everyday you see a person with a large tramping pack cycling the southern xing!

If you or anybody else has seen this guy or was doing the Southern xing at the weekend – it would be good if you could give me a call

Please feel free to fwd this email on to any tramping colleagues or others who may have been tramping on the Southern Xing at the weekend

Thanks
      Wayne Stevens
      SAR advisor
      021 2167625

• #18436 Reply
      Mike

Apparently he’s now been located by a LandSAR Wairarapa team (not at all official coming from me). Maybe someone from LandSAR could confirm?

• #18437 Reply
      jenny

Yes, police managed to make contact with him by cellphone earlier today and so they were able to reduce the search area / scale down the search. I’ve just heard he’s now been located and is being assisted to the nearest hut for the night :-)

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: looking for sightings of missing mtn biker in Tararuas
Your information: