Native plant experts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Sue

I’m in the process of planting out sections of my property with native plants. I’ve done lots of reading, have reference material, some ideas, but overall there is too much choice (and I don’t want to be inundated with hebes and coprosmas). Is there anyone who can help me with this??

Sue

• #17430 Reply
      Grant Newton

Being a tramper, to remind you of the hills, surely you will want a leatherwood belt across the front of the property, followed by spaniards & hook grass alongside all paths!

And of course then there is the ongaonga and bush lawyer hanging around everywhere else!

…… this is sure to keep the general riff-raff out.

• #17431 Reply
      Don Goodhue

We have had good results with Spaniards – keeps the neighbourhood cats off the garden. Bush Lawyer grows well also.

The Wellington Regional Council publish a great little booklet “WRC Native Plant Guide” which is full of good advice etc on natives for the garden. We got ours from a gargen centre (was $2.50 a few years ago)

• #17432 Reply
      Ruthless

I know what you mean Sue, there are too many choices.

I have found that the last few times I have been out tramping I have had a close look at the kinds of plants that grow side by side & the visual effects of different plants/groupings. This has helped me firm up in my mind what to plant where at my place.

I have not yet got it 100% sussed but am getting there. Visiting Otari as good also as you can see what grows well in the Wellington area & they have some interesting combinations of plantings.

I also have a spaniard & will be putting in another, have you considered Astelias, and undergrowth type plants such as libertia & dianaila nigra (spelling????) they grow well.

I would be interested if anyone knows of anywhere to get some of the alpine & other interesting natives from as most of the nurserys don’t have much more than grasses, flaxes, coprosmas, trees & hebes.

Sue – perhaps it is time we got that gardening thing off the ground!

• #17433 Reply
      Alasdair Alexander

Friends and family have bought packets of seeds from a whole range of native plants from DOC, including alpine plants. They had limited success in getting them to germinate in UK conditions, but perhaps there would be more chance in NZ.

• #17434 Reply
      Allan Mac

I’ve put in a selection of Pungas, Pukas, Lancewoods and Cabbage Trees for the big stuff, the Pungas have struggled a bit in Auckland’s dry ;-) climate, but you might have better luck in Welly. Astelia Silver Spears seem to be surviving OK and look good as well – but they don’t seem to like having wet feet.

You probably need to get a plan together and think of what bigger plants you want and what to surround them with. Ruth’s probably right, go and have a look around Otari/Wilton and see what grows there, and in what placement (re sun/shade).

I got someone to do me a plan, as I didn’t know what was good, where. It worked out quite well, because he gave me a list and I can toddle off to the local garden shop and say “Where are your pseudopanix blah blah” and I don’t have to faff around looking for stuff.

• #17435 Reply
      Anon

Contact Emile van der mespel who is a club member. He’s an expert on NZ natives and plannign gardens, etc.

• #17436 Reply
      Andrew

Sue – it wasn’t clear from you note whether you are planting the natives for the purpose of revegetation (ie. recreating locally sourced plants that used to grow there) or whether you want a garden with a large variety of NZ native plants in it.

The latter is probably a lot more intensive and problematic in getting the right plants for your soil, aspect, wind and rain conditions – a lot of trial and error. I don’t garden so can’t offer any advice on that.

If you’re doing the planting for restoration purposes I’d get in touch with some of your local Tawa/JVille conservation groups involved in restoration work on local reserves (eg. Friends of Tawa Bush, Tressilick Ngaio Gorge – check WCC website for contact info). They should be able to give you a local species list and advice on shade/wind/sun tolerance of different plants. The WRC guide Don refers to is definitely also worthwhile.

• #17437 Reply
      Craig

You might find the following PDF file might also be helpful.

Click to access Streamside-planting.pdf

• #17439 Reply
      maria

Sue
      There is a bloke in Houghton Bay with a much-celebrated ‘wind garden’ planted in natives. I think his garden is open for viewing year-around (it’s sign-posted) and he’s written a book on gardening in windy conditions.
      I haven’t had any luck germinating DoC seeds (and they are rather expensive!) but have had great success with a couple of native clematis plants I bought last year. Great if you want some flowers as well as foliage.
      The wrc booklet is recommended too.

• #17441 Reply
      Sue

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments; it’s much appreciated!

cheers,
      Sue

Viewing 10 reply threads
Reply To: Native plant experts
Your information: