Repairing gore-tex

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mike McGavin

Hello.

I’ve just noticed that one of my raincoats seems to have a small tear in the outer layer. Can anyone suggest how I might be able to go about repairing this cheaply?

It’s a Gore-Tex coat that came from Kathmandu about 3 years ago. It’s out of warranty and I expect they’d probably tell me to just buy a new one rather than giving any way to repair it. I mostly only use this one around town these days, but it’s really good at being an around-town raincoat. It’s tempting to just slap some electrical tape over the tear, but I don’t know how long it’d last or what effect it’d have on the fabric.

Some quick searching the net suggests there’s some kind of mythical “gore-tex repair kit” that’s designed for this kind of thing, but it sounds like it’d probably cost 10 times what it’s actually worth. Is there some kind of tape I can buy for $4/roll which would patch it up just as well without damaging it?

Thanks.
      Mike.

• #18050 Reply
      Mike McGavin

Whupps, seems I was mistaken about the likely cost. Bivouac’s offered to get me a gore-tex repair kit for about $14, so I’ll see how that goes.

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Repairing gore-tex
Your information: