Ruahine Howletts query

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Christoffel

Hi there

Can someone please tell me if there’s a reasonably direct route between Longview and Howletts huts (Ruahines) without going via Daphne. It looks like there might be a route over Taumatataua but it’s not clear.

thanks
      Paul

• #17868 Reply
      Grant Newton

Paul,

Yes there’s a straightforward route across the tops to Howletts Hut. I don’t have a map as I write this but remember you just follow the ridgeline around. We arrived at the hut by 2pm on a medium trip (we left from the carpark in the morning, not Longview). This route coupled with the Daphne Hut route, makes a nice weekend loop trip of E/M or M grade.

Grant

• #17869 Reply
      Glynne Lloyd

Hi Paul,

Like Grant I don’t have a map as well.

My recollection is that there are three ridges/spurs which are roughly in parallel. Just above Longview Hut there is one that goes down to the river about 1/2 km below Daphne Hut. Do not take that one. On leaving the Hut keeping going west(?) and climb up a couple of hundred meters onto another spur that ultimately goes down to Daphne Hut. You start out on this and after some time you have to head off this spur (a 90 degree left turn) down through a saddle and then up on to the main ridge that heads directly to Howletts.

Cheers,
      Glynne

• #18123 Reply
      Fergus Watts

IS it mountain bike able?

• #18125 Reply
      Mike

Hi Fergus. I’d be surprised if it were practical because the routes are very steep and fragile, though I’ve never had a mountain bike so I don’t fully understand what sorts of places you can typically get to. I’d be very surprised if it were legal, however. You should definitely check with DOC if you’re thinking about this, and I’m pretty sure they’d say No. It’s great as a tramp and an awesome little hut, though.

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: Ruahine Howletts query
Your information: