Salomon boot problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Geoff Keey

Hi,

For those of you who are planning to buy boots, I would be wary about buying Salomon boots if you are doing serious tramping or mountaineering. The rivets on the eyelets of my boots disintegrated over Christmas and Salomon considers that to be wear and tear. Thankfully it wont cost too much to get fixed.

However, I struggle to see how disintegrating rivets could be considered ‘wear and tear’ – that’s just shonky construction. This is especially the case given that the eyelets live under gaiters and so have the least ‘wear and tear’ of any part of the boot. Certainly, no other brand I have used has ahd that problem. Some of the other materials on the boot are also not that durable.

For $500 boots I would have expected better. Maybe back to La Sportiva Makalus – cheaper and more reliable.

Geoff

• #17419 Reply
      Grant Newton

I have managed to get good life out of Salomon boots – though they are SM8 (mountaineering) and X ADV 7 (tramping) – and found them to be extremely comfortable (never had a blister). Shame their service is so shoddy.

The importer seems a plonker – they probably made the call regarding ‘wear and tear’. I also heard that they stopped importing the X ADV7 boots, which were the best selling boot in NZ …. because they didn’t like Salomon putting the price up.

You’re keen going to La Sportiva Makalu’s – the boots will last for years … and so will the blisters!

Grant

• #17420 Reply
      Lee-Ann – Promotions officer

yep had my salomon’s for 3 years and still going strong after all sorts of terrain!

• #17423 Reply
      char

heya well i found the boots great annd have had no problems with them, they are extreamley comfortable and i also found the service great when i took a pair back due to a fault = D

• #17425 Reply
      Geoff Keey

I’ve never seemed to have had the blister problems others have with Makalus, but in a battle between a boot and my foot, the boot seems to lose.

Geoff

• #17442 Reply
      Gerald

But you’re not completely alone in your dissatisfaction with Salomons, Geoff – the stitching wore through in mine in a couple of places in less than a year of moderate use. They are comfy, though.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Salomon boot problems
Your information: