Topo50 maps and errors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mike

I’m not sure if this is completely new with regard to tracks on topo maps, but from the Manawatu Standard — http://www.stuff.co.nz/3389278 :

MOUNTAIN MAPS FULL OF TRACK ERRORS

The latest batch of Topo50 maps, which are the official topographic map series used by New Zealand emergency services, and available to trampers and hunters, have been printed with tracks that have never existed or no longer exist, tracks put on the map in the wrong place, or tracks included that are no longer deemed safe to use, the Manawatu Tramping Club says.”

Chief guide Kim Fraser discovered the maps were wrong when she took some groups through the eastern side of the Ruahine Range.”

Land Information New Zealand national topographer Geoff Howard said many tracks were hidden under native forest and therefore could not be seen from satellite imagery.

“We are reliant on up-to-date information being supplied to us from the Department of Conservation, tramping clubs, individuals and so on.”

He was unaware of the errors the tramping club had discovered, and wanted to hear from it. “Once we are notified of any errors and provided with the correct information, we will immediately update our topographic database.”

=====

On a related note following the club’s bulk order of Topo50 maps, thanks for everyone who got involved. We’ve ordered 201 maps and if they arrive in time, I’ll try to have them sorted and at Wednesday night’s meeting. I’ll probably leave them for collection in the gear room after that.

Once they’re ready I’ll send an email to people who ordered to confirm if this is the case.

Cheers.
      Mike.

• #18287 Reply
      Laura

Mike, you rock for organising these.

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Topo50 maps and errors
Your information: