Up Comming Mountainbike Rides

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Pete Marshall

I am running a couple of Mountain bike rides, 1 this month and 1 next, just thought I would give a heads up on what they involve.

This weekend is the 1st. I will be taking people into Belmont Regional Park, this will be done via Korokoro Dam then up to a Track called Danzig. Since the ranger prefers Danzig as an uphill track we will ride a newly built track down to where we will get to a point where we will ride up to Belmont Trig. From Belmont Trig we will decent back down to the Korokoro stream and back out to the road end.

If you are comfortable with riding to the top of Makara Peak and back down (with ot without stops) this ride should be no problem for you.

I would rate these tracks some of the best riding in Wellington and because of this I ride them often.

The 2nd ride next Month – March 14th (or 15th) is called “3 Sisters/ Kapiti/
      Maungakotukutuku” This is essentially what we would call a “Jungle ride”, the same fitness and a bit more skill as the Korokoro ride will be needed for this.

Here we start out at the 4WD centre on the Maungakotukutuku road, and climb a hill into the Akatarawas. We back onto the Karapoti course and ride up in the opposite direction for a short bit. We then take a turn off and dissapear into the bushes. There is a bit of bike carrying as this small section is impossible to ride. We then ride the 3 Sisters back to where we started.
      The 3 sisters are 3 different sections of track.

The track does not resemble a normal mountain bike track but is rather a track that follows tree markers through the bush, it is very easy to follow though the track can get technical in places – just like a tramping track! Sometimes we may need to get off our bikes and carry them over sections though they can be a challenge to ride.

This is not a widely known track and its a real pleasure to ride. I have taken people of all skill levels on this ride and while it may have been a little difficult in places everyone has finished with big smiles on their faces.

Both trips are up on the board at the moment, with this weekend’s comming down on Wednesday. I will be at the club this Wednesday, dont hesitate to ask me any questions of these rides.

Each ride will be taken at a sifty pace though fitness is required, we should be out for around 4-5 hours

Viewing 0 reply threads
Reply To: Up Comming Mountainbike Rides
Your information: