Any thoughts about a couple of Osprey packs?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      MikeM
      Inactive

Hi everyone.

Does anyone have much experience with any of the modern Osprey packs which Bivouac sell a lot of?

As much as I like the style of my 10 year old Macpac Glissade (okay, not as classic as some) which is patched with gaffer tape (amazing how well that stuff sticks), it’s never really fit perfectly (I’m such a bony guy) and I think it weighs much more than it needs to… about 3.2kg when I measured it just now.

I think I’m looking for something around the 50-60L size, but probably biased towards the larger end of that range because I’m a wimp about leaving stuff behind, and definitely prefer to have everything stowed inside rather than out.

After checking what’s available in Wellington and the two which I seem to’ve narrowed down on are both Osprey packs at Bivouac… first is an Osprey Aether 60, second is an Osprey Kestrel 58. The latter’s more lightweight.. I think due to a more simple harness rather than a different fabric. Either would knock a kg off what I presently drag around, and would probably also fit better.

So….. anyone know from experience how either of these are likely to hold up to recurring bush-bashing and pack-dragging and general exposure through the Tararuas and comparable environments, or have any other potentially helpful recommendations? The retail staff were telling me that Osprey has a lifetime warranty that covers EVERYTHING, even normal wear and tear, which sounds a bit weird to me.

Thanks for any thoughts.

• #18788 Reply
      Megan sety

I’ve had an osprey for about 4 years now and love it. Most comfortable pack I’ve ever had. And has been just fine, off track including the Tararuas.

• #18789 Reply
      MikeM

Thanks, Megan. Do you know what sort? They have quite a range and they’re often quite different in fabrics and stuff.

• #18790 Reply
      spike

Hi have an Osprey 50
      I have used it for backpacking and hiking
      It is the best fitting pack I have ever hard and it has taking a beating.
      Personally I think Osprey make great packs, only downside to me the that their is no way to access the inside of the pack from the bottom, so I have to unload my entire pack through the top to get to things in the bottom. It does have good front and top pockets. as well as plenty of straps. The mesh against the back is amazing and stops the horrible sweat chafing on your back that other bags give you.

• #18791 Reply
      MikeM

Thanks Spike. Any idea which type of Osprey 50? It probably has the model name written on it, and I think there are at least 3 or 4 current 50-litre packs which Osprey makes.

Also have you used it much for bush-bashing and getting through tangley muddy stuff?

Cheers. :)

• #18792 Reply
      MikeM

Hey Megan… was that this pack which you were using in 2010? :P

5024961691_3fed59e733_z.jpg

• #18793 Reply
      spike

I have the Osprey Atmos 50
      http://www.bivouac.co.nz/osprey-men-s-atmos-50-pack.html
      I have also added a 3 litre bladder to the inside and attached a rain cover.

I have taken it through the Jungles of Borneo and the Amazon with no issues..In Borneo we were true bush bashing.
      Earlier this year I took it on the tongariro northern circuit in extremely bad weather which resulted in me getting lost and climbing down and up the sides of mountains. The bag got a hole in the bottom from the constant sliding down mudy rocks, but nothing a few safety pins couldn’t fix.

With osprey bags they come in different sizes S/M/L – this refers to the straps as they are designed to be without some of the other adjustments you get on other bags. I like this as I have found the adjustments on other bags would move and mess up the balance ratio resulting in sore muscles.

This is the bag I have (In black), I have taken it through hell and it just keeps asking for more.
      http://www.bivouac.co.nz/osprey-men-s-atmos-50-pack.html

Their packs come with a lifetime guarantee, although I am not sure of the details.
      I’m investigating that myself now to see if I can get mine repaired or if it is outside the guarantee because of what i put it through.

• #18794 Reply
      MikeM

Fantastic. Thanks, Spike. I should also check out the Atmos. I think I looked through it initially because it’s right on the lower end (volume-wise) of what I think I’m after, but that could change.

From the picture it looks like they’ve avoided the sleeping bag zip on the bottom, which is good in my book, although Bivouac seems to be claiming it’s there in their spec list.

I’ve heard lots of really good stories about the Osprey warranty.

Viewing 7 reply threads
Reply To: Any thoughts about a couple of Osprey packs?
Your information: