Arete to Cattle Ridge via Twins, Bannister, Waingawa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Grimwood

Hi there – Anyone know owt about the blobby bit of country between Dundas Ridge and Cattle Ridge in them there Tararuas – via Arete, Twins, Bannister and Waingawa. Just after Do-able yes/no, rough level of difficulty and if anyone has times for this section and then on to Cattle ridge Hut. That would be reet smashing.

Cheers

Paul

• #17870 Reply
      shanec

Hi Paul,
      Very Do-able. I’d suggest it would be somewhere between Medium and Fit in grade.

Time:
      I’d check Merv Rodgers’ “Tararua footsteps” for time.
      Time is very weather dependent

My guess from memory.
      Arete- Waingawa? 4hrs
      Waingawa – Cattle Ridge 2.5 hrs? (relatively fast- bar the wee dip in the middle.)

All up I’d guess a 8-9 hour day including stops.

Bannister Ridge always seems to take longer than would first seem on the map.
      It is a bit up and down and a bit slow. There are a few sections where some care is required (eh Glynn:-)).

There is an interesting “escape route” down to Arete Forks dropping off the ridge at the Waingawa-Bannister saddle and into a creek starting just below a saddle on the ridge. (~1300m)

• #17871 Reply
      Glynne Lloyd

Hi Paul,

I did this trip in reverse a few years ago. We went from Blue Range Hut (departed 6.30 am) to Tematawai Hut (? the hut below Pukematawai is that Tematawai) (arrived ~5pm). It was in September.

We had no problems. Between Waingawa and Bannister there is a 2 or 3 rocky uprising things (I think they are called gendarmes but not sure). One of those some in the party could not climb, including me, but we just sidled around it through a bit of scrub.

It is a really nice trip.

Cheers,
      Glynne

• #17872 Reply
      Craig

Hi Paul,

Very achievable and a great trip. We just passed through there a few days ago. I would not recommend the Bannister bit in damp or windy conditions – lucky for us five perfect days in the Tararuas! A couple of narrow bits but even height conscious me didn’t have any problems.

I’d allow for 5-7 hours between Cattle Ridge and Arete depending on the speed of your party..

Craig.

• #17873 Reply
      Paul Grimwood

Thanks to all that replied. I took a nasty fall whilst bouldering on the thursday night (twisted ankle) so we never made it out of Wellington! Hope you all had more eventful weekends ;-)

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: Arete to Cattle Ridge via Twins, Bannister, Waingawa
Your information: