Dragons Teeth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      sharron came

i’m planning a trip to the Douglas Range, Kahurangi NP. We have 3.5 – 4 days given the need to get to and from Welly. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who has done a trip in the area, particularly if your trip encompassed Lonely Lake – the Dragons Teeth – Adelaide Tarn.

• #17841 Reply
      Paul Grimwood

Alison and I have done the northern section from the road end to adelaide tarn. We went over the Lead hills (impressive blocks of rock) and camped on green saddle (water available if you walk down a little way down the non-hut side) on day 1. The lead hills route is meant to be more interesting than the alternative and I reckon it is. Day 2 was an easy day walk to adelaide tarn – no issues, reasonable track. Day 3 was out the same way over the lead hills. Apart from trying to work out where the start was, it was reasonably straight-forward. The only tricky section I think was the final descent to green saddle involved leaving the ridge and dropping a little way and picking a route through the small bluffs. This is not a big deal. Although we took a day and a half to get to the tarn I reckon a light and fast fit trip could get from the tarn to the northern road-end in a long day.

• #17844 Reply
      Allen Higgins

I have the info. Best to contact me at club. Will be at club nite 17 January. Or call us at home.

Allen

• #17847 Reply
      Paul Grimwood

While i am thinking about it …. I remember that water was scarce along the ridge from the Northern Roadend to Adelaide Tarn. Green Saddle was OK as I said in the previous post but during the day it’s wise to carry a reasonable supply of water as there is little to no easy way to refill. Don’t know about the remainder of the trip.

• #17849 Reply
      Rose

I haven’t been but my parents have been there and have pics on their website if your interested in checking out terrain or huts etc. it’s at
      http://tramping.ferguson.org.nz/dragonsteeth/index1.htm

• #17850 Reply
      Mark Copeland

Sharron – if you are thinking of actually traversing the Dragons Teeth from Adelaide Tarn to Lonely Lake you will need a good up-to-date route briefing from somewhere (perhaps try Golden Bay Tramping Club). It is not a route for the faint-hearted, and should only be attempted in good weather. That said, it is an exhilarating day out if yuo do it!

• #17851 Reply
      Geoff Keey

The new Kahurangi to Kaikouras guide by the NZAC has route descriptions for the Dragon’s Teeth.

• #17852 Reply
      Andrew McCrorie

I would be keen to go back in there again mid Feb. My last attempt was a bit traumatic and I reckon a short 8mm rope for pack-hauling/basic safety would be handy. Route-finding up the bluff is tricky.

• #17853 Reply
      Sharron

thanks to everyone who helped out with advice. We had an excellent trip. I will be writing up some route notes for inclusion in the club data base.

• #17858 Reply
      Tom McAlister

Sharron
      We are interested in walking from Cobb Reservoir to Brown hutvia Cobb Lake, Lonely Lake, Anatoki Peak, Dragons Teeth (if possible otherwise Anatoki Valley),Adelaide Tarn, Boulder Lake, Lead Hills in Kahurangi Feb. 2008. Please inform me when you have written your route notes on your trip in the club data base and how to access this. Maybe instead if you wish,would you E-mail the trip notes. We are thinking of traversing the Dragon’s teeth – is it best from N to S or the reverse? I have heard there is a very steep section where the assisting ?chain has been removed.We belong to the Brisbane Bush Walkers’ Club, Australia.
      Regards
      Tom

• #17883 Reply
      Tom McAlister

Hi Sharon
      Have you written your club notes re walk Trilobite hut,Fenella hut, Lonely Lake hut, Anatoki Peak, Anatoki River, Adelaide Tarn hut to Boulder Lake via Douglas Range? Six to seven bushwalkers from Brisbane wish to walk it mid February,2008.We will be very interested to have some feedback on your writeup for your club or some comments. Eagerly awaiting a reply.
      Thanks
      Tom McAlister

• #17884 Reply
      Tom McAlister

Hi Geoff
      How do we access the new Kahurangi to Kaikouras guide by the NZAC especially the route descriptions for the Dragon’s Teeth? Six to 7 bushwalkers from brisbane are walking from Trilobite hut via Anatoki Peak,Anatoki River to Boulder Hut about 19/02/2008. We are especially interested in Lonely Lake-Anatoki Peak-Anatoki River sections.
      Regards
      Tom

• #17885 Reply
      shanec
    • #17886 Reply
      Alison

Hi Tom,

You can purchase the NZAC guide through this website

http://www.alpineclub.org.nz/default.aspx?p=230

You might also want to take a look at “Classic Tramping” from Craig Potton Publishing as it covers the Dragon’s Teeth tramp. You can get it online here

http://tinyurl.com/2spogt

There are some photos from the trip that Sharron lead here

http://fankle.smugmug.com/gallery/2445648

Cheers,

Alison

• #17984 Reply
      lynda

hi to the Brisbane walkers
      We are a group of 2 looking to leave auckland on Sunday 17 Feb. so we aren’t all following each other, which way are you going to do the walk, and what day will you be starting?
      thanks
      Lynda

• #17994 Reply
      Tom Mcalister

Hi Lynda
      We are the 6 bushwalkers from Brisbane Bushwalkers Club. I was told about your forum mail today. We will be as follows weather permitting:
      Tues 19/02/08: Trilobite Hut-Fenella Hut
      Wed 20/02:Fenella Hut-Lonely Lake Hut
      Thurs 21/2:LLH-Anatoki Peak (tent)
      Fri 22/2:AP-Anatoki River-Adelaide Tarn Hut (bypass Dragons Teeth)
      Sat 23/02:ATH-Boulder Lake Hut
      Sun 24/2:BLH-out
      What are your proposed times and places? Are any other hikers walking in this area round then?
      Regards
      Tom

• #17996 Reply
      uatwohco

hmfwqkkn http://okrklgnr.com ygtpotnn edynoojk udfpdhsv syrakhtg

Viewing 16 reply threads
Reply To: Dragons Teeth
Your information: