Kaweka – Kaimanawa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Roo Tramping

Speaking of KKT, section Cascade to Waipakihi via Ngapuketurua and Junction Top, how is the traverse route like? Is there a passable trail most of the way? I will drive to the start at Kakahu Saddle and wonder how to get back to pick up the car? How is public transport from/to there like? Thanks for your help?

Regards, Dzung

• #17934 Reply
      Roo Tramping

Hi again,

The info I am after is the section: Ignimbrite Saddle – Junction Top – Waipakihi Hut. Is there a passable trail?

Is it possible to take a helicopter to fly from trailend (Kaimanawa Road) to trailhead (Makahu Saddle)? How much does it cost for one passenger if it is a possibility? Thanks for your advice.

If transport including air travel is a problem, I may try to figure out one or two a-few-day loop tramps in the areas.

Cheers, Dzung

• #17935 Reply
      Alison

Hi Dzung,

I’ve not been to the area myself but the DOC website says a route branches off the Ngapuketurua Track from the Ngapuketurua Summit and runs through Ignimbrite Saddle and over Junction Top to Waipakihi Hut. Parts of these routes cross private land, contact Air Charter Taupo +64 7 378 5467 for a permit or email

More information at

http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/trackandwalk.aspx?id=36024

• #17937 Reply
      RooTramping

Thanks Alison

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Kaweka – Kaimanawa
Your information: