Macpac / Fairydown etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike McGavin

Hello.

Does anyone happen to know from experience whether the “new” Macpac and Fairydown stuff has changed much from what it was before Moutin Noir took over and consolidated the entire brand into little Fairydown shops and then (as soon as they had the name) little Macpac shops? I’m thinking about buying a warmer sleeping bag at the moment, ideally during some kind of sale but before the whole economic collapse affects things too much.. which might be difficult.

I’m at the stage of browsing through reviews and comparing specs. A couple of Macpac bags have promising reviews for what I want, but they’re also probably reviews of what was being produced before Moutin Noir took over and rearranged everything. I guess what I’m asking is whether the models they have (which have also dropped in price slightly) are still comparable with what was being produced under those same model names 2 or 3 years ago. Or is it all just about historically-built brand loyalty these days?

Thanks for any help with this.
      Mike.

• #18069 Reply
      John

Hi Mike

I recently brought a new Ferrydown Everest Bag, which is top of their new range, for a high altitude expedition. The bag had the right specs in that it was rated to -18C and is relatively light at 1.6kg. I brought this bag as a replacement for my old Fairydown Everest bag, made by Authur Ellis in Dunedin and brought 20 years ago. The old bag is still in quite good condition but a bit on the heavy side for hauling up high mountains (2.1kg) and not as warm as it used to be after 2 decades of use.

I am pretty disappointed with the new bag. After just one trip (about 20 nights use) a number of the seams are already leaking feathers. I was also quite cold in the bag at temps of -15C. Compared to my old made in NZ Fairydown bag, the new version made in China doesn’t cut the mustard. I have returned it to the store and am awaiting a refund. It may be the same brandname but I don’t think the new bag is anything like the same quality.

Cheers
      John

• #18324 Reply
      Brian Schlaadt

hey thats a shame about the replacement bag. I have the same bag made by Ellis in Dunedin and purchased when I was 18yrs old for about 6 weeks wages, I am now 58 yrs old. Sleeped with 4 inchs of snow on top and never got cold.

I washed it and for my last use at minus 2 it wasn’t its normal performance. So getting a new bag sounds out of the question. I want to add top quality down to the bag if that can be done. Any ideas?

• #18325 Reply
      richard

Hi Brian

Try these guys http://www.twinneedle.co.nz/sleepingbags.html

They used to work for MacPac but got laid off during the buy-out and set up their own company.

Good dudes.

• #18447 Reply
      craig wilson

John Wrote:

> Im sure MacPac has just bought the loyalty of the name , the products are no where near the quality of the originals made and stamped by Macpac Nz. It seems to be the same marketing technique used by Katmandu outlets..Always on sale , always at 40-50% off thier own recommended retail…

• #19006 Reply
      Peter Farish

Hi Everyone,
      I have an old, but hardly used, Fairydown Bushwalker sleeping bag.
      I want to know the thermal rating of this bag. Has anyone any Idea?
      I would welcome any information.
      Thanks
      Pete

• #19018 Reply
      Dean

The macpac gear is rubbish now the lady from Kathmandu got holed of it and everything is made in China . There sleeping bags and packs are the worst of the lot ! If you need to upgrade look on trademe for a older bag that not been used much ! They are better value that most new Stuff ! Dean

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Macpac / Fairydown etc
Your information: