Track with no gravel paths – Wgtn area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rodger Campbell

Hi there,
      Does anyone know a good track in that doesn’t have nicely groomed gravel paths? I have some new tramping boots and want to wear them in alittle before doing a 3-dayer in early Jan., but most tracks I know in the Wgtn area have been so well maintained all they will do for my boots is wear the soles out! Am familiar with a number of Wgtn area walks but all can be done in sneakers.

I’ve been out of tramping for quite a few years but keen to get into it again. Am looking for a 3-4 hour walk within about an hours drive from Wellington, preferably amongst good native bush which I love.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• #18853 Reply
      MikeM

Hi Rodger.

Have you looked in the Orongorongas, out from Wainuiomata? Or if you’re just looking for soft ground, maybe somewhere like Belmont Regional Park or the Skyline Walkway? (You might need to walk along the edges of a few of the bits with harder tracks.)

• #18854 Reply
      Beccy

The ‘route’ along the main ridge in east harbour regional park is fairly un-made in places. If you go all the way along the main ridge then a fair bit of it is ‘route’ rather than ‘tramping track’…. it’s still easy, but less ‘made’. Gareth and I can entertain ourselves for hours on the tracks and routes in there, and always finish with a coffee or ice cream in Eastbourne/Day’s bay – perfect!

• #18855 Reply
      rodger campbell

Sounds great, I know the area. Many thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Track with no gravel paths – Wgtn area
Your information: