Transferring maps onto Powerpoint

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Margaret Craigie

This question is really for people who have done presentations in the past.

How have you put maps into your presentation? Is it by scanning? Or is there some simple trick associated with Google maps you could tell me about, please?
      Many thanks,
      Margaret

• #18838 Reply
      Beccy

Try using the toponz website: http://www.topomap.co.nz/

Zoom in on the map you want and pan about until everything you want is displayed on the screen.

When you have the map you want displayed, take a screen grab (the button to do this is usually on the top right of your keyboard and will have ‘pnt sc’ or ‘print screen’ or something like that written on it, you may need to use the function key and the print screen key together).

The print screen button saves an image of whatever was on your screen to the clipboard.

In power point you can now click paste to paste the image in.

Note: the image will be pasted as a bitmap which is a large type of file. If you want it to be smaller, paste the image into the paint program first and then save the image as a jpeg file. This compresses the image.

Hope that helps!

• #18839 Reply
      harry

If that doesn’t work, another method I’ve used for 1:50,000 topo maps is as follows:

1) Go to the map chooser page on the LINZ website http://www.linz.govt.nz/topography/topo-maps/map-chooser

2) choose the map you want (first select the 1:250,000 map covering the area you’re interested in, and then the 1:50,000 map within that)

3) download it as a TIFF file (I don’t know exactly what a tiif format is but it’s quite big!) Note that what you get is basically an electronic copy of the paper map sheet – you don’t have the ability to pan around or go across map boundaries.

4) load it into Microsoft Picture Manager and crop off the margins and other parts of the map you don’t want (or you can do the same thing in Word)

5) export it as a jpg file

6) load it into Powerpoint

• #18840 Reply
      Margaret Craitie

Many thanks!

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Transferring maps onto Powerpoint
Your information: