Rubbish Disposal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Steve Reese

Hi, my name is Steve. I am an industrial design student attending my final year at the Massey University School of Design in Wellington. Being quite a keen tramper myself, I have decided to base the subject of my major project on addressing the problems relating to the disposal of rubbish while tramping. Here I present a few minor questions relating to the subject. Your expertise would be much appreciated.

Don’t worry, it will only take a few minutes (if that), and I re-assure you that the information you provide is anonymous and confidential, and shall be used for research purposes only. :-)

At this early stage in the project, I am doing a bit of ground research, attempting to analyse existing strategies and products. Being an enthusiastic tramper myself, I realise that any experienced tramper would take out any rubbish they took in with themselves as the environmental code of conduct produced by the Department of Conservation would state. I would like to ask you a few questions regarding this issue.

1) Do you find the removal of your rubbish in this manner –
      a) Very convenient
      b) Convenient
      c) Indifferent
      d) Inconvenient
      e) Very Inconvenient

2) If a new method of rubbish disposal was devised, would you be
      happy to use it? (comments?)

3) Would you like to see a new method of rubbish disposal
      developed? (comments?)

4) Why do you believe people may be tempted to litter?

5) Where do you believe people may be most attempted to litter? eg.
      Department of Conservation Huts, Resting spots on tracks,
      Lookouts etc.

Thank you very much for you time, this will aid in my reasearch greatly. I again stress that this information will be used for research purposes only and will remain confidential. I would like to keep in touch with the WT&MC club throughout my project, and will keep you informed as to where I am heading.

Yours Sincerely,
      Steve. :-)

• #16124 Reply
      Webmaster

Hi Steve

I’m unsure if you’re aware, but this is an open forum and your assurance of confidentiality may be a bit difficult to provide on this site. Don’t get me wrong, your research would make a good topic for discussion here and I hope this is the case, but you’ll no doubt have to reference your research (to this site) and the comments made may not therefore be confidential.

It’s a personal choice, however but it may be proper for me to remind others that they could also e-mail you direct if they wish to have confidentiality. On the contrary, many readers of this forum may also decide to contribute and not be concerned.

As a further idea, you might like to get along to our Club next Wednesday at 7.45PM and promote your research.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Kind regards
      Stephen

• #16125 Reply
      Simon Ward

Hi Steve / All

Pack it in, pack it out really must be the only way! There have been attempts by DoC to supply rubbish bags at huts – I saw this in Fiordland 10 years ago – but all that resulted was full bags being left to fester in huts. The main issues I see regarding rubbish in the hills are:

1) minor litter along popular tracks – commonly snack bar wrappers, tissues and bits of plastic off drink bottles

2) non-biodegradeable litter round huts, especially those frequented by the “fly in” brigade

3) litter along beach frontages (not a tramping problem per se)

Most tramping huts I have been to are litter-free, and even popular tracks are fairly good. Road ends, on the other hand, can be very messy if popular – there are often bins supplied but these don’t seem to be emptied too often.

I suspect the issue of toilet wastes in the hills is a more pressing problem.

Cheers

Simon Ward

• #16126 Reply
      Wayne

I agree with Simon – one of the biggest problems with rubbish being left at huts is those who fly in or worse still, boat in (where they can).

Some of those who use speedboats seem to be among the worst offenders – was kayaking around Taupo a couple of weekends ago and couldnt help but notice some of the rubbish (bear cans, bottles) that the boaties (speedboats) left behind in some areas. Over the years I have also noticed some of these bogans also leaving a mess at huts around Lake Waikaremoana and at Nelson Lakes.

If DoC was to target an anti rubbish campaign or measures at someone I would focus on some of the speedboat crowd.

Good luck with your research
      Wayne

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Rubbish Disposal
Your information: